Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 05:42 PM
  • Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old. 

RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Police say Shaun Pater faces 15 counts in relation to alleged sexual offences on minors, including the trafficking charge.

Terrance Houbregs and Wayne Moore are accused of six counts each involving sexual offences on minors. 

All men have been released on several conditions, including not to have contact or be in the presence of anyone under 16 years old.

The three men are also prohibited from being in parks, community centres, theatres or other places where people under 16 are known to be present. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime.

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership
The FMWC was founded in 1924 by six pioneering female physicians who, at the time, faced significant barriers to entering and practicing in medical school. Their determination reshaped the field, creating opportunities for the generations of women physicians in Canada today.

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House
The federal government is asking Parliament for approval to spend billions of dollars, but the ongoing stalemate in the House of Commons could prevent the Liberals from getting the green light. Treasury Board President Anita Anand tabled a request on Monday for $21.6 billion to fund programs including housing, dental care and the national school food program.

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan
One in five immigrants who come to Canada ultimately leave the country within 25 years, with about one-third of those people moving on within the first five years. The findings come from a report by the Institute for Canadian Citizenship and the Conference Board of Canada, which looked at the issue of onward migration for the second time. 

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver
The Transportation Safety Board says it's investigating after a Boeing 767 cargo jet went off a runway at Vancouver International Airport. The airport says the aircraft went off the north runway after landing about 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday, but none of the three-person crew was hurt. 

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet
Premier David Eby says "kitchen table" issues in British Columbia will be the focus for his revamped, post election cabinet that was sworn in on Monday. Eby's new cabinet, comprising 23 ministers and four ministers of state, features a mix of new and familiar faces elected in last month's narrow one-seat New Democrat election win.

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet