Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Throne speech kicks off B.C.'s legislative session at time of 'extraordinary change'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Feb, 2025 12:01 PM
  • Throne speech kicks off B.C.'s legislative session at time of 'extraordinary change'

British Columbia's legislative session opens today amid what Premier David Eby describes as a time of "extraordinary change and uncertainty."

Lt.-Gov. Wendy Cocchia is scheduled to deliver the speech from the throne this afternoon, laying out the B.C. government's plan as looming U.S. tariffs threaten the Canadian economy.

Eby says in a statement that the speech will lay out the government's plan to defend British Columbians in these uncertain times and secure a brighter future for residents.

Colin Hansen, a former finance minister in the BC Liberal government and a member of the legislature from 1996 to 2013, says now should be a time for politicians to "park" partisanship.

Hansen says that the magnitude of U.S. President Donald Trump's administration on B.C. means that members of the legislature need to put aside their differences and work together.

Opposition Leader John Rustad says key issues for his members during this session will be fentanyl, the borders and "what's going on with Trump."

House Leader Mike Farnworth told reporters last week the U.S. tariff threats are the "number 1 priority" facing the government, which clung to power with a one-seat majority in the fall election.

The NDP holds 47 seats and faces a large Opposition party for the next four years with the B.C. Conservative Party holding 44 seats. The BC Greens elected two members who have agreed to support the NDP on confidence votes.

Hansen says the New Democrat government has been "saying some of the right things" but there needs to be an action plan.

“To give credit, I think there are some signals, like the energy projects that have been earmarked for fast tracking and possibly more to come, is a step in the right direction," Hansen said.

However, the current level of government spending is a "recipe for disaster," so getting the province back to a balanced budget should be a top priority, he said.

"The new Forests minister, I think, has been saying some of the right things about working with the private sector to ensure that we don't totally lose our forest sector in B.C."

The legislative assembly enters the first session in nine months, just days after the government cancelled the $1,000 grocery rebate, one of the NDP's flagship promises in last year's election.

Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said Thursday that the government will also have to "revisit" its election vow for a middle-income tax cut in future budgets at a time that B.C. faces an "unpredictable" future.

The impact of Trump's threatened tariffs were impossible to predict, Bailey said.

Rustad has said that had the Conservatives won the election, he would have been in Washington back in November.

Canadian premiers visited Washington, D.C., last week to meet with U.S. lawmakers shortly after Trump delayed his plans for a 25 per cent tariff on Canadian goods and a 10 per cent levy on energy.

MORE National ARTICLES

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says
British Columbia has approved the use of an updated Taser weapon for officers around the province to use as a less-lethal weapon during police confrontations. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the Taser 7 offers the ability to discharge a second shot without reloading a new cartridge and its short-distance shooting range option, among other "enhancements."

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

Text message scam in Nanaimo

Text message scam in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say a text message scam is making its way through the community claiming drivers owe money for speeding in a school zone. Investigators say the bogus text was received by dozens of individuals throughout the Okanagan.

Text message scam in Nanaimo

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'
The British Columbia government is warning people about a scam involving its PayBC website, where an "identical fake website" is collecting personal and credit card information.  The PayBC site gives residents a secure place to pay their bills or for services from the provincial government, but it says it has become aware of phishing attempts against users. 

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.
Environment Canada has added a dust advisories for a large section of central and northern British Columbia in response to "high concentrations of coarse particulate matter" that it says is most prominent near busy roads. The new advisories are up for the regions of Prince George, the Lakes District and Bulkley Valley, covering Smithers, Prince George, Vanderhoof and Houston.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay