Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Aug, 2024 11:57 AM
  • Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

Little rain and a lot of lightning is fuelling wildfire activity in British Columbia. 

The BC Wildfire service says lightning has been the spark behind more than 80 per cent of nearly 260 new blazes over the last week.

Environment Canada has issued a severe thunderstorm watch spanning much of B.C.'s southern Interior from the Fraser Canyon east to the Alberta boundary.

The weather office says conditions are favourable for the development of storms that may be capable of producing strong winds, hail and potentially heavy rain.

Still, the latest bulletin from the wildfire service says that some areas have seen isolated showers, but warm, dry conditions are otherwise persistent.

There are more than 400 active wildfires throughout the province, with just under 40 per cent classified as burning out of control.

Environment Canada is maintaining smoky skies bulletins for large areas of the southern and central Interior as well as the northeastern corner of B.C., where heat warnings are also in effect for the Fort Nelson and Fort St. James areas.

The weather office says daytime highs in the 30s are expected there until Tuesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst
Joly made the announcement this morning on X, the platform previously known as Twitter, thanking the Global Affairs staff who she says worked around the clock to make it happen. The federal government says 21 Canadians and foreign nationals took a bus out of the West Bank, a Palestinian territory that Israel has occupied since 1967, and where it has established settlements.

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing
Premier David Eby says the number of short-term rentals has ballooned in recent years and the government is taking action to reduce “profit-driven mini-hotel operators” by bringing in new enforcement tools. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon introduced the bill in the legislature today, saying there has been "an explosion" of short-term rental units and this legislation will target areas with high housing needs.

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022
Police say that after an almost yearlong investigation, homicide investigators have determined that 57-year-old Jodine Millar was murdered. Millar was reported missing on Nov. 28, the same day police found her empty car after a crash on Highway 1.

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers
Coquitlam School District 43 says in a statement to families on its website that plans are in the works to support continued learning for the school community at Hazel Trembath Elementary School in Port Coquitlam. Coquitlam RCMP say they are investigating a suspicious fire at the school, which was fully engulfed when first responders arrived at the scene early Saturday.

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 57-year-old Balvir Singh of New Westminster was charged Saturday with second-degree murder. I-H-I-T is identifying the victim as 46-year old Kulwant Kaur of New Westminster.

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police
The city issued a statement on Friday saying it was asking for a judicial review by the Supreme Court of British Columbia, challenging the province's "lawful authority" to impose its choice of police force without providing the funding to support such a move.

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police