Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Time is the biggest challenge' in building levee

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2021 02:23 PM
  • 'Time is the biggest challenge' in building levee

VANCOUVER - A city east of Vancouver is racing against time to build a levee as floodwaters rise and put more properties at risk following unprecedented rainfall in southwestern British Columbia.

Henry Braun, the mayor of Abbotsford, said Canadian Forces troops are expected to join contractors to help build the temporary 2.5-kilometre dike to keep out water from the overflowing Sumas River.

Braun said assessments on construction of the levee were expected to begin Friday in an effort to prevent further devastation to the Sumas Prairie farming area, which has experienced the highest levels of flooding.

"Time is the biggest challenge," Braun said late Thursday, adding a forecast calling for up to 100 millimetres of rain next week is a big worry after existing dikes had broken.

"Until that hole is filled in the breach and the levee is built, the water continues to pour into the prairie," he said.

The city will need access to between six and 12 homes in order to build the levy, he said, adding the process to contact owners was just beginning.

"One house is too much, and if it was my house I'd be concerned too. But there aren't many options here."

Speaking from Washington, D.C., Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday night that 120 Canadian Armed Forces personnel had been sent to support relief efforts in Abbotsford.

A military reconnaissance group had also been dispatched to the provincial emergency operation centre in Surrey, and more than 200 troops were on standby in Edmonton awaiting orders to deploy.

Federal Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said Friday that interim measures are being set up with the United States to move commercial goods to B.C. after the flooding cut off access to multiple highways in the province.

"These interim measures are largely intended for Canadian domestic truck carriers that do not normally cross the border in the course of their business. Any Canadian carriers that currently operate between the United States and Canada as well as domestically are encouraged to follow the standard procedures," Mendicino said.

The B.C. government was expected to provide more information Friday about the state of emergency it has declared after an atmospheric river hit parts of the province, bringing more rain in 48 hours than is normal during the entire month of November.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has said those measures could include an order preventing passage for all but essential travellers and commercial vehicles as limited access is slowly restored along some highways.

An estimated 17,000 people remain out of their homes as evacuation orders cover some 6,900 properties.

The province has announced that financial assistance will be available for people affected by the flooding and landslides.

Search efforts are continuing at a landslide along Highway 99 south of Lillooet where a woman's body was recovered this week, and RCMP have said four people have been reported missing in that area.

In Merritt, where an evacuation order was issued for the entire town of 7,000, inspectors are assessing damage to properties.

Homes will be tagged as red, yellow or green, and residences with the latter colour will be allowed to return to collect belongings and begin remediation efforts, the city in B.C.'s Interior region said in a written statement.

It says crews are testing the drinking water system and sanitation lines are being flushed to remove debris to allow flow back to the wastewater treatment plant, which had failed.

The Merritt Emergency Operations Centre is in the process of launching a call centre to better help residents with inquiries, and the city has begun planning for social supports when residents return to the community, it says.

"The city is conducting planning for the partial rescinding of the evacuation order for areas of the city that were not directly affected by flooding, once the critical infrastructure comes back online."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault
The frightening incident occurred around 1 p.m. on August 6, as a 25-year-old man was driving on West Georgia Street, near the Vancouver Art Gallery. A panhandler approached the front of his car, blocked his path forward, and started behaving erratically while asking for money.

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll
Seventy-six per cent of respondents to the survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies said they would strongly or somewhat support a vaccine passport like the one Quebec is implementing.

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21
The U.S. does, however, allow Canadians to fly across the border for non-essential purposes. The 17-month long ban on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border was eased by the Canadian government on Aug. 9.

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

NDP heads to residential school grave site

NDP heads to residential school grave site
Late last month, Singh became the first federal leader to meet with Indigenous chiefs at the site of the former Kamloops Indian School after the discovery of what are believed to be the remains of 215 children.

NDP heads to residential school grave site

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires
The BC Wildfire Service says an initial attack crew of 10 people and several aircraft were working with firefighters from numerous local fire departments and more resources are expected to be assigned.

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response
LA Matheson Secondary School Teacher Annie O Hana delivered a powerful message on the importance of Surrey not being targeted when it comes to drugs and gangs and this issue is not just a Surrey problem but a global problem.

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response