Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Toronto Van Attack Accused Alek Minassian Was Briefly In Armed Forces

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Apr, 2018 10:47 AM
    RICHMOND HILL, Ont. — Officials say the man accused in a van attack that left 10 people dead in Toronto on Monday was a member of the Canadian Armed Forces for two months last year.
     
     
    A spokeswoman with the Department of National Defence says Alek Minassian was a member of the forces from Aug. 23, 2017 until Oct. 25.
     
     
    She says Minassian did not complete his recruit training and asked to be voluntarily released after 16 days.
     
     
    The 25-year-old from Richmond Hill, Ont., was charged on Tuesday with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.
     
     
    Ten people were killed and 15 people injured after a van mounted a sidewalk in north Toronto on Monday afternoon.
     
     
     
    VAN ATTACK LOOKS UNRELATED TO NATIONAL SECURITY, THREAT LEVEL UNCHANGED: GOODALE
     
     
     
     
    There remains no information to warrant a change in Canada's risk level, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale reiterated Monday following what he described as a "horrendous" midday van attack in Toronto that killed 10 pedestrians and injured 15 others.
     
     
    Goodale was on hand for a news conference in the northern Toronto neighbourhood where the deadly attack took place earlier in the day — and where police revealed both the identity of the driver of the van and that the death toll had reached double digits.
     
     
    "The events that happened on the street behind us are horrendous, but they do not appear to be connected in any way to national security, based on the information available at this time," he said.
     
     
    Goodale and Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland happened to be in the city Monday for a meeting of G7 foreign and security ministers when news emerged of the incident, which took place without warning on a crowded city sidewalk under brilliant spring sunshine.
     
     
    He told an earlier briefing with reporters that the precise details of what had happened, as well as the motive behind the "attack," were still unknown, and he confirmed Canada's risk level would remain unchanged.
     
     
    "There is no information available to me at the present time that would lead us to conclude that there should be a change in risk level."
     
     
    Not long after the incident and not far from the scene, a man seen standing near a badly damaged white rental van was taken into custody following a dramatic standoff with police that was captured on video by a bystander.
     
     
     
     
    During the evening news conference, Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders identified the man as Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont., but said it was still too early to speak of a motive.
     
     
    "We are looking very strongly to what the exact motivation was for this particular incident to take place," Saunders said.
     
     
    Canada's current threat level is medium, where it has been since October 2014, when a gunman killed a sentry at the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa before storming Parliament Hill, where he died in a hail of gunfire.
     
     
    Both Goodale and Freeland expressed admiration for police and first responders on the scene and offered sympathies to the victims and their families.
     
     
    "I think all of our hearts go out to the people hurt in this incident and to their families and loved ones," Freeland said. "It's a very sad moment."
     
     
    In a statement Monday night, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered his condolences to the loved ones of those who were killed.
     
     
     
     
    "We should all feel safe walking in our cities and communities," Trudeau said. "We are monitoring this situation closely, and will continue working with our law enforcement partners around the country to ensure the safety and security of all Canadians."
     
     
    The prime minister also thanked first responders "who managed this extremely difficult situation with courage and professionalism."
     
     
    "They faced danger without hesitation, and their efforts no doubt saved lives and prevented further injuries," he said.
     
     
    News of the incident sent shockwaves through the House of Commons, with many politicians and staffers closely monitoring social media for updates. Police provided little detail through the afternoon, adding to the ongoing sense of confusion and concern as the hours passed.
     
     
    Ali Ehsassi, MP for the Willowdale riding where the incident occurred, said there were many pedestrians in the area at the time.
     
     
    "It's a very busy area," he said, adding he did not know any reason why the area might have been targeted. "(I'm) very much shaken up, as you can imagine, and just been glued to my phone just trying to obtain as much information as I possibly can."
     
     
    Ehsassi said his own home is just two minutes away from the Yonge Street scene. He shared condolences for his neighbours and constituents.
     
     
    "My heart goes out to them. They're in my heart, they're in my thoughts and I'm very much looking forward to heading back home as soon as possible."
     
     
    Earlier in the day, Goodale said he understands there are many questions that remain unanswered, but said law enforcement is working hard to get as much information out as quickly as possible.
     
     
    "We cannot come to any firm conclusions at this stage. The police are conducting their thorough investigation to determine exactly what happened and why it happened."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Outspoken Professor RICK MEHTA Stokes Free-speech Debate At East Coast University

    Outspoken Professor RICK MEHTA Stokes Free-speech Debate At East Coast University
    An associate professor at Acadia University is facing a growing backlash over incendiary social media comments, stoking a national debate about free speech on campus amid calls for his ouster from the Wolfville, N.S., school.

    Outspoken Professor RICK MEHTA Stokes Free-speech Debate At East Coast University

    Australia Files WTO Complaint Against Canadian Wine Sales Measures

    Australia Files WTO Complaint Against Canadian Wine Sales Measures
    TORONTO — Australia has filed a complaint about Canada's rules around wine sales with the World Trade Organization.

    Australia Files WTO Complaint Against Canadian Wine Sales Measures

    Crown Seeks 1-2 Year Sentence In B.C. 'Quick Wins' Ethnic Outreach Scandal

    Crown Seeks 1-2 Year Sentence In B.C. 'Quick Wins' Ethnic Outreach Scandal
    VANCOUVER — A special prosecutor says a former government communications director for British Columbia's Liberal party should serve a community sentence of 12- to 23-months after he pleaded guilty to breach of trust.

    Crown Seeks 1-2 Year Sentence In B.C. 'Quick Wins' Ethnic Outreach Scandal

    Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Growing In Halifax Area, More Officers Needed: RCMP

    Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Growing In Halifax Area, More Officers Needed: RCMP
    HALIFAX — The Mounties say prolific growth in the presence of outlaw motorcycle gangs in the Halifax area is behind their request for more front-line officers.

    Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Growing In Halifax Area, More Officers Needed: RCMP

    Extreme Depth: Explorers Map Out B.C. Cave Believed To Be Deepest In Canada

    Extreme Depth: Explorers Map Out B.C. Cave Believed To Be Deepest In Canada
    FERNIE, B.C. — A member of a team of explorers has reached a record depth in a cave near Fernie, B.C., that is believed to be the deepest in Canada.

    Extreme Depth: Explorers Map Out B.C. Cave Believed To Be Deepest In Canada

    'I Shouldn't Have To Have A Husband:' Winnipeg Woman Criticizes Men-Only Club

    'I Shouldn't Have To Have A Husband:' Winnipeg Woman Criticizes Men-Only Club
    Jodi Moskal, an electrician who also ran for the provincial Progressive Conservatives in a byelection last year, has been researching clubs in Winnipeg that once allowed only men but changed to admit women.

    'I Shouldn't Have To Have A Husband:' Winnipeg Woman Criticizes Men-Only Club