Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tourism spending may recover sooner than expected

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2022 01:19 PM
  • Tourism spending may recover sooner than expected

VANCOUVER - Tourism spending in Canada is expected to recover sooner than previously anticipated.

Destination Canada published its latest tourism outlook today, which says it predicts tourism spending to recover to 2019 levels by 2024, up from 2025 as predicted last spring.

The government organization says that Canada's domestic travel market spending is recovering at an even faster pace and is expected to reach 92 per cent of 2019 levels in 2022 and fully recover in 2023.

It says the U.S. market is positioned to grow with spending reaching 91 per cent of 2019 levels in 2023 and expects a full economic recovery by 2024.

Destination Canada chief executive Marsha Walden says international revenue will be slower to recover due to stalls from the global recession and pandemic restrictions and should reach 2019 spending levels by 2025.

According to the report, Canada’s tourism sector could generate more than $142 billion by 2030, a 35 per cent growth over the course of the next decade.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need the public' help in finding missing man Gurdeep Grewal

Surrey RCMP need the public' help in finding missing man Gurdeep Grewal
Gurdeep is described as a 46 year-old South Asian male, 5’8” tall, 135 lbs, short hair and brown eyes. Gurdeep was last seen wearing a grey hoodie, grey pants and black sandals. Police and family are concerned for Gurdeep’s wellbeing as they have not been able to make contact with him.   

Surrey RCMP need the public' help in finding missing man Gurdeep Grewal

B.C. man on trial for murder escapes custody

B.C. man on trial for murder escapes custody
A statement from police says Rabih Alkhalil, who also uses the first name of Robby, escaped from the North Fraser Pre-trial Centre in Port Coquitlam shortly before 7 p.m. Thursday. Alkhalil is one of three men charged with the murder of 36-year-old Sandip Duhre, who was shot while sitting in a busy downtown Vancouver restaurant in January 2012.  

B.C. man on trial for murder escapes custody

Two dead, one injured in Chilliwack shooting

Two dead, one injured in Chilliwack shooting
The RCMP's Upper Fraser Valley Regional Detachment says officers were called to the residence on McNaught Ave. near Yard Rd. at about 11 a.m. Thursday for reports of gunfire.When they arrived, they found the body of one woman, and a second woman with life-threatening gunshot wounds. She was airlifted to hospital, where she later died of her injuries.

Two dead, one injured in Chilliwack shooting

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment
Brandon Nandan has pleased guilty to various charges including possession of controlled substances (Fentanyl, Cocaine and Methamphetamine) for the 
purpose of trafficking and counselling person A to commit the Indictable Offence of Discharging a Firearm with intent to 
endanger life, and possession of a loaded 9mm caliber Beretta model 92FS Semi automatic pistol. 

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June
As soon as the bus stopped, the suspect approached the victim as she was speaking with the bus operator.  Then, without provocation, allegedly punched her in the head and face several times, causing her to fall to the ground. He was last seen exiting the bus at Main Street and 64thAvenue.

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA
The groups released a report in June 2021 saying immigrants with no criminal charges against them are detained in holding centres, federal prisons or provincial jails for "indeterminate amounts of time." They launched a campaign calling on B.C. to end its contract last October, and later expanded their push to Quebec and Nova Scotia.

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA