Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

TransLink launching second round of public feedback for Burnaby Mountain Gondola

Darpan News Desk Translink, 23 Nov, 2020 09:32 PM
  • TransLink launching second round of public feedback for Burnaby Mountain Gondola

TransLink is moving to a second round of engagement for the proposed Burnaby Mountain Gondola. Incorporating feedback from the first round of public and stakeholder engagement, TransLink undertook an evaluation of three proposed routes based on project benefits, costs, and implementation considerations.

This round of engagement seeks public feedback on the evaluation and level of support for each of the three proposed routes, which will ultimately lead to a single preferred route.

TransLink will share the engagement results and a technical assessment with the City of Burnaby, the TransLink Board and Mayors’ Council. The Burnaby Mountain Gondola would provide fast, frequent, and reliable service between the SkyTrain and Burnaby Mountain. This engagement process will form part of the project’s overall business plan, which is required for any funding or approval.

Route options:

Route 1 is a straight-line route from Production Way–University SkyTrain Station to SFU Burnaby campus.

Route 2 is the eastern route from Production Way–University SkyTrain Station with the gondola travelling along Gaglardi Way, changing direction at an angle station, and continuing to SFU Burnaby campus with the terminal near the bus exchange.

Route 3 is the western route from Lake City Way SkyTrain Station to SFU Burnaby campus, which would cross the Burnaby Mountain Golf Course, change direction at an angle station, and continue to SFU Burnaby Campus with the terminal located south of South Campus Road.

“With more than 13,000 responses in our first round of engagement, we have a good sense of what the public values about the proposed gondola,” said Project Director Jeffrey Busby. “We used that feedback in our design considerations and extensive evaluation of the routes, assessing what matters to local neighbourhoods and the broader public in Metro Vancouver, and we’re ready to share that next level of work.”

Public engagement is a key component of rapid transit planning. This round of online engagement will run from November 23 to December 14, 2020. 

Photo courtesy of iStock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

WATCH: Banquet Hall owners unhappy with Dr.Bonnie Henry on shutting down banquet halls, say being discriminated against

WATCH: Banquet Hall owners unhappy with Dr.Bonnie Henry on shutting down banquet halls, say being discriminated against
WATCH: Banquet Hall owners lash out at BC NDP MLAs for not being on their side. "Discrimination against South Asian Community," Says Sukh Mann, President of the BC Banquet Hall Association. Record breaking heat wave in BC

WATCH: Banquet Hall owners unhappy with Dr.Bonnie Henry on shutting down banquet halls, say being discriminated against

B.C. auditor outlines cost of pandemic response

B.C. auditor outlines cost of pandemic response
The government has announced a $5-billion COVID-19 response and a $1-billion contribution to a federal cost-sharing program.

B.C. auditor outlines cost of pandemic response

N.B. leaders begin final push before election

N.B. leaders begin final push before election
Progressive Conservative Leader Blaine Higgs used potato fields in Florenceville in the northwest of the province as the backdrop as he called on voters to return his party to government.

N.B. leaders begin final push before election

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys
COVAX is aimed at averting a scramble by individual countries to secure vaccines for their own populations, often by pre-buying doses directly from pharmaceutical companies.

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech
Earlier this year Ottawa scaled back the requirements of the standard over the first few years to give companies more time to recover from the economic crisis caused by COVID-19, but McMillan says that is not enough.

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID
Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Friday the federal government is providing $13.9 million to Toronto Public Health — enough to operate the 140-room isolation centre that opens this weekend for the next 12 months.

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID