Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 11:44 AM
  • Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Air traffic control audio shows a Boeing 767 cargo jet reported a "flight control problem" involving a mechanism on its wings used to slow the aircraft just before it skidded off a runway at Vancouver's airport at high speed. 

Conversations between the pilots on the Amazon Prime Air jet and air traffic control reveal that the plane was experiencing a problem with its "leading edge slats," and was carrying about 10,000 kilograms of fuel. 

In other recordings the tower tells awaiting emergency responders that the jet was "coming in fast," while data from the Flightradar24 database shows the plane was travelling at a ground speed of about 200 km/h when it left the runway. 

The Transportation Safety Board said it's investigating after the flight went off the end of the north runway at about 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday.

None of the three-person crew was hurt, but the airport said the north runway will remain closed for about two days as the jet sits in a grass field, nose down, with engines on each of the mud-splattered wings touching the ground.

Vancouver airport CEO Tamara Vrooman says there was "no risk" at any point of the plane breaching the runway's "secure" perimeter, which separates it from the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet shopping mall and its parking lot.

Vrooman says that all flights originally scheduled for the day were moved to the south runway, and only about 5 per cent of flights experienced any disruptions due to the move.

Flightradar24, a global flight tracking database, says the plane operated by Cargojet Airways left Hamilton, Ont., just after midnight eastern time and its flight path shows it continued 500 metres past the end of the runway in Vancouver before coming to a stop.

The audio recordings of air traffic control in Vancouver show the crew reported problems with the plane's control systems about 20 minutes before landing, with one crew member requesting time to run a checklist to try to resolve the issue.

An air traffic controller said they wanted to keep the plane "close to the airport," while the crew tried to find a solution, but control also asked if emergency responders should be ready. 

"Yeah, we can bring out the fire trucks just for precaution," a crew member told air traffic control.

The crew also confirmed to air traffic control that it had no dangerous cargo on-board, other than the fuel. 

According to the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics, slats and flaps on an aircraft's wings are deployed to both slow a plane for landing as well as generate lift.

At the time the jet slid off the runway, Environment Canada's weather station at the airport showed light rain and snow had been falling for about 90 minutes.

The safety board's website says runway overruns can damage planes and, in the worst cases, lead to injuries or deaths.

The board says the consequences can be particularly serious when there isn't enough room at the end of a runway or a suitable system to stop planes.

"This closure will have an impact on YVR operations and flight schedules, but aircraft continue to arrive and depart on our south runway," the airport said in an updated statement Tuesday. 

"We encourage passengers to check with their airlines for current flight schedules and status before heading to YVR."

Vrooman did not offer a specific timeline for the removal of the jet, but she said that cargo would be removed before crews build some sort of roadway through the grassy area where the plane came to a stop in order to pull it out of its current location. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people
More than 50 people from a supportive-housing complex in Nanaimo were displaced Sunday after a fire in a mattress that was started by a cigarette. Troy Libbus, Nanaimo Fire Rescue's assistant chief, said their crew responded to an alarm at Samaritan Place, a supportive-housing complex that has 51 units. 

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall
Mounties in Burnaby say their community response team arrested six shoplifters after being deployed to one of the city’s malls for six hours. Police say nearly 75-hundred-dollars worth of stolen items was recovered and returned to retailers. 

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents
British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities. WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety. 

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby
British Columbia Premier David Eby says construction of an $85-million expansion of kidney hemodialysis services in Surrey is set to start in August. Eby says a new unit at Surrey Memorial Hospital will add 21 renal hemodialysis beds to treat patients with kidney disease, bringing the hospital's total to 60 stations.

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby