Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 11:44 AM
  • Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Air traffic control audio shows a Boeing 767 cargo jet reported a "flight control problem" involving a mechanism on its wings used to slow the aircraft just before it skidded off a runway at Vancouver's airport at high speed. 

Conversations between the pilots on the Amazon Prime Air jet and air traffic control reveal that the plane was experiencing a problem with its "leading edge slats," and was carrying about 10,000 kilograms of fuel. 

In other recordings the tower tells awaiting emergency responders that the jet was "coming in fast," while data from the Flightradar24 database shows the plane was travelling at a ground speed of about 200 km/h when it left the runway. 

The Transportation Safety Board said it's investigating after the flight went off the end of the north runway at about 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday.

None of the three-person crew was hurt, but the airport said the north runway will remain closed for about two days as the jet sits in a grass field, nose down, with engines on each of the mud-splattered wings touching the ground.

Vancouver airport CEO Tamara Vrooman says there was "no risk" at any point of the plane breaching the runway's "secure" perimeter, which separates it from the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet shopping mall and its parking lot.

Vrooman says that all flights originally scheduled for the day were moved to the south runway, and only about 5 per cent of flights experienced any disruptions due to the move.

Flightradar24, a global flight tracking database, says the plane operated by Cargojet Airways left Hamilton, Ont., just after midnight eastern time and its flight path shows it continued 500 metres past the end of the runway in Vancouver before coming to a stop.

The audio recordings of air traffic control in Vancouver show the crew reported problems with the plane's control systems about 20 minutes before landing, with one crew member requesting time to run a checklist to try to resolve the issue.

An air traffic controller said they wanted to keep the plane "close to the airport," while the crew tried to find a solution, but control also asked if emergency responders should be ready. 

"Yeah, we can bring out the fire trucks just for precaution," a crew member told air traffic control.

The crew also confirmed to air traffic control that it had no dangerous cargo on-board, other than the fuel. 

According to the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics, slats and flaps on an aircraft's wings are deployed to both slow a plane for landing as well as generate lift.

At the time the jet slid off the runway, Environment Canada's weather station at the airport showed light rain and snow had been falling for about 90 minutes.

The safety board's website says runway overruns can damage planes and, in the worst cases, lead to injuries or deaths.

The board says the consequences can be particularly serious when there isn't enough room at the end of a runway or a suitable system to stop planes.

"This closure will have an impact on YVR operations and flight schedules, but aircraft continue to arrive and depart on our south runway," the airport said in an updated statement Tuesday. 

"We encourage passengers to check with their airlines for current flight schedules and status before heading to YVR."

Vrooman did not offer a specific timeline for the removal of the jet, but she said that cargo would be removed before crews build some sort of roadway through the grassy area where the plane came to a stop in order to pull it out of its current location. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather
The British Columbia government says farmers will get an extra $70 million to replant and strengthen fruit orchards and vineyards after two years of weather-related disasters. Premier David Eby says the funding will boost the province's existing $15 million Perennial Crop Renewal Program, launched last spring to help more than 200 farmers replace diseased and unproductive plants.

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Historic transportation investment for Surrey
Surrey has approved what city council is calling its biggest municipal transportation investment in history. The council has approved a 138-million-dollar extension of 72 Avenue from 152 Street to Highway 15, a roughly 4-kilometre stretch.

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer
Fewer than half of Canadians believe the federal government's plan to regulate social media sites will make platforms safer, a new survey suggests. Polling firm Leger recently asked Canadians about the Liberal government's proposed Online Harms Act, which contains a suite of measures meant to make social media platforms safer, particularly for children.

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust
Police in Port Hardy say they've arrested six people in a drug investigation after seizing guns, and suspected fentanyl and cocaine, after executing a pair of search warrants over the weekend. Port Hardy R-C-M-P say there's been a recent uptick in overdose deaths in the north island community. 

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew is asking the federal government to call for an immediate ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. Kinew says Israel has the right to exist, and Hamas must be destroyed, but the growing destruction and famine in civilian areas must stop.

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says