Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Mar, 2023 12:42 PM
  • 'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

VANCOUVER - British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's "very troubled" by allegations of Chinese interference in Vancouver's municipal elections last year and he's asked Canada's intelligence agency for a briefing.

Eby says Canadians deserve a "thorough and independent investigation" into the claims reported in the Globe and Mail newspaper this week that China's consulate in Vancouver meddled in the municipal polls by using diaspora community groups and grooming certain candidates.

The premier says he's asked for a "full briefing" by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service but he hasn't received it yet.

The newspaper report cites CSIS documents, but Eby says he's not in a position to comment on their credibility.

The report prompted Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim to say on Thursday that he was disgusted by its "insinuations," and he wouldn't be part of the conversation if he was Caucasian.

Eby says the majority of tools to fight international interference are in federal hands, but he needs to know if there's any way for B.C. to "close any gaps" that the province may have available to it.

He says that, for example, Elections BC has already brought forward recommendations to combat misinformation.

"We're always looking for ways to make sure our elections are free and fair," Eby said at a news conference in Prince Rupert.

This week's newspaper report says the CSIS documents do not name the consulate's favoured mayoral and council contenders, but it wanted the incumbent Kennedy Stewart to lose.

Sim, Vancouver's first Canadian mayor of Chinese descent, defeated Stewart by more than 36,000 votes.

MORE National ARTICLES

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips
NATO estimated last June that Canada would spend about 1.39 per cent of its national GDP on defence in 2021. Defence Minister Anita Anand says this morning that the government has committed to increase defence spending, noting a federal budget will be presented next week.

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips

NACI fourth dose information expected soon

NACI fourth dose information expected soon
A spokeswoman for the Public Health Agency of Canada said Thursday that the agency expects to publish NACI's advice on fourth doses for "elderly populations at higher risk of severe disease" in the coming days.

NACI fourth dose information expected soon

New B.C. hydrogen office aims to help investment

New B.C. hydrogen office aims to help investment
Because of B.C.'s location, it said the province could capture a "significant portion" of the global hydrogen market, which is estimated to be worth more than $305 billion by 2050.

New B.C. hydrogen office aims to help investment

$9-million fine for syrup thief: Supreme Court

$9-million fine for syrup thief: Supreme Court
The stolen syrup was worth more than $18 million, but Vallières said during his trial that he had sold it for $10 million and made a $1-million profit. The Supreme Court says Vallières has 10 years to pay the fine, failing which he will serve six years in prison.

$9-million fine for syrup thief: Supreme Court

COVID test no longer needed for travellers Friday

COVID test no longer needed for travellers Friday
While no test will be required after April 1 for people who are considered fully vaccinated, Health Canada still requires that anyone arriving from outside the country wear a mask in public for two weeks.

COVID test no longer needed for travellers Friday

Brakes failed in fatal train derailment

Brakes failed in fatal train derailment
The train was parked on a grade near Field, B.C., when it started rolling on its own and gained speeds far above the limit for the mountain pass. It derailed at a curve in the tracks and 99 grain cars and two locomotives plummeted off a bridge.

Brakes failed in fatal train derailment