Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Mar, 2023 12:42 PM
  • 'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

VANCOUVER - British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's "very troubled" by allegations of Chinese interference in Vancouver's municipal elections last year and he's asked Canada's intelligence agency for a briefing.

Eby says Canadians deserve a "thorough and independent investigation" into the claims reported in the Globe and Mail newspaper this week that China's consulate in Vancouver meddled in the municipal polls by using diaspora community groups and grooming certain candidates.

The premier says he's asked for a "full briefing" by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service but he hasn't received it yet.

The newspaper report cites CSIS documents, but Eby says he's not in a position to comment on their credibility.

The report prompted Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim to say on Thursday that he was disgusted by its "insinuations," and he wouldn't be part of the conversation if he was Caucasian.

Eby says the majority of tools to fight international interference are in federal hands, but he needs to know if there's any way for B.C. to "close any gaps" that the province may have available to it.

He says that, for example, Elections BC has already brought forward recommendations to combat misinformation.

"We're always looking for ways to make sure our elections are free and fair," Eby said at a news conference in Prince Rupert.

This week's newspaper report says the CSIS documents do not name the consulate's favoured mayoral and council contenders, but it wanted the incumbent Kennedy Stewart to lose.

Sim, Vancouver's first Canadian mayor of Chinese descent, defeated Stewart by more than 36,000 votes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.
A statement from the ministry says it has begun the process to select contractors to design and complete the repairs at three of the seven damaged bridges along the Coquihalla Highway.    

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor
Health Minister Adrian Dix told a recent news conference that 99.8 per cent of patients whose surgery was postponed in the first wave of the pandemic have had it, and that's the case for 94.2 per cent of those who did not get their procedure in the second and third waves.

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor

269 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

269 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 258 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19, and 49 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, one new death (Northern Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,975.

269 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action
The report comes after Housing Minister David Eby recently said municipal governments are holding up housing developments in their communities and he’s preparing to introduce legislation to remove their final project approval powers.    

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal
The charge stems from a VPD investigation that was launched on August 22, 2021, when the Komagata Maru memorial, located in Coal Harbour, was defaced with white paint, hand prints, and graffiti. The memorial honours passengers who were aboard the Komagata Maru when the ship was denied entry to Vancouver after sailing here from India in 1914.

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home
Between December 25, 2021 and January 3, 2022, three businesses in industrial areas of Burnaby were broken into. Burnaby’s POST took conduct of the investigation and, with the assistance of local policing partners, were able to link the three break-ins and identify two suspects.

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home