Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Mar, 2023 12:42 PM
  • 'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

VANCOUVER - British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's "very troubled" by allegations of Chinese interference in Vancouver's municipal elections last year and he's asked Canada's intelligence agency for a briefing.

Eby says Canadians deserve a "thorough and independent investigation" into the claims reported in the Globe and Mail newspaper this week that China's consulate in Vancouver meddled in the municipal polls by using diaspora community groups and grooming certain candidates.

The premier says he's asked for a "full briefing" by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service but he hasn't received it yet.

The newspaper report cites CSIS documents, but Eby says he's not in a position to comment on their credibility.

The report prompted Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim to say on Thursday that he was disgusted by its "insinuations," and he wouldn't be part of the conversation if he was Caucasian.

Eby says the majority of tools to fight international interference are in federal hands, but he needs to know if there's any way for B.C. to "close any gaps" that the province may have available to it.

He says that, for example, Elections BC has already brought forward recommendations to combat misinformation.

"We're always looking for ways to make sure our elections are free and fair," Eby said at a news conference in Prince Rupert.

This week's newspaper report says the CSIS documents do not name the consulate's favoured mayoral and council contenders, but it wanted the incumbent Kennedy Stewart to lose.

Sim, Vancouver's first Canadian mayor of Chinese descent, defeated Stewart by more than 36,000 votes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws
In a wide-ranging interview, he said that when it comes to gun control he believes the focus should be on stopping the flow of handguns coming into Canada from across the border. He pointed to the volume of shootings that have happened in Montreal and Toronto.

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash
Nine people were killed in the fiery Tuesday night crash and the two Canadians — Dayton Price, 19, of Mississauga, Ont., and Hayden Underhill, 20, of Amherstview, Ont. — suffered critical injuries.    

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy
The government's use of the emergency powers in February included allowing financial institutions to freeze the accounts of those involved in the protests that occupied streets in downtown Ottawa and blocked key border crossings.    

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy

Canada working on national flood insurance program

Canada working on national flood insurance program
On Monday, federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair finished a tour of B.C. communities that experienced devastating floods last November, including Abbotsford and Merritt, where some people still have not been able to move home.

Canada working on national flood insurance program

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are 298 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 49 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,960.

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness
Several cabinet ministers gathered for a news conference to share details of $633 million first announced in Budget 2022 for supports over three years for people experiencing homelessness.

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness