Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau Asks Transport Minister To Tackle Greyhound’s Western Pullout

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2018 01:58 PM
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has asked Transport Minister Marc Garneau to find solutions following Greyhound's withdrawal of bus service from western Canada.
     
     
    Trudeau says Greyhound's move is "difficult" for people who live in the Prairies and for those who are struggling economically.
     
     
    "I have asked our minister of transport to work with the provinces, to work with communities, to work with the company to try and see what paths forward there are," said Trudeau.
     
     
    Trudeau was responding to questions from reporters on a highway in Sutherlands River, N.S., about whether Ottawa is prepared to offer subsidies to keep the service running or offer an alternative.
     
     
    Greyhound Canada announced last week it is cutting passenger and delivery services in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, northwestern Ontario and rural British Columbia.
     
     
    The decision triggered outrage and apprehension among rural and First Nations communities that rely heavily on the company's service.
     
     
    Indigenous women's advocates have said that Greyhound's decision will put more women at risk.
     
     
    The issue of transportation along a notorious stretch of B.C.'s Highway 16 — known as the Highway of Tears — was a major point of contention last fall during hearings at the national inquiry for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
     
     
    "We of course continue to be extremely concerned by the challenge of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, that's why we launched the national public inquiry into the issue," said Trudeau.
     
     
    "We of course are reflecting on that element of it and looking for how we can contribute to solutions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate
    VANCOUVER — Police appear to be cracking down on pop-up stalls selling marijuana while frustrations mount over the open-air market operating in a prominent square in downtown Vancouver.

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard
    Firefighters were still on the scene of a large fire in Port Coquitlam, B.C., late Monday after a collision in a CP Rail yard.

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free
    The university is poised to become only the third post-secondary institution in B.C. to ban smoking on its premises, starting Jan. 21, 2018.

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake
    VANCOUVER — A tsunami warning issued for coastal British Columbia was cancelled Tuesday morning after people living along parts of the province's coast evacuated to higher ground when a powerful earthquake struck off Alaska.

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis
    The fire department has partnered with Vancouver-based software developer GINQO to create a program that mines data from dispatch calls in real-time to identify clusters of overdoses.

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress
    TIGNISH, P.E.I. — The president of a P.E.I. branch of the Royal Canadian Legion is expected to apologize after a Sikh man was reportedly asked to remove his religious head covering and heckled with racist remarks.

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress