Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 11:00 AM
  • Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs.

The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

On Monday night, U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose a 25 per cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico the day he takes office in January.

Trump made the comments on Truth Social, saying the tariffs would remain in effect until Canada and Mexico stop illegal border crossings and prevent drugs like fentanyl from entering the U.S.

Trudeau said he had a good call with Trump Monday evening.

"We obviously talked about laying out the facts, talking about how the intense and effective connections between our two countries flow back and forth. We talked about some of the challenges that we can work on together," Trudeau said on his way into the weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday morning.

"It was a good call. This is something we can do, laying out the facts in constructive ways. This is a relationship we know takes a certain amount of working on and that's what we'll do."

Before Trump's post on Monday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford had asked for an urgent meeting between the premiers and Trudeau to prepare for the new administration.

That request took on new urgency following Trump's post.

Trudeau spoke by phone on Monday with Ford, who chairs the Council of the Federation, and other premiers including Quebec Premier François Legault.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Ford called the tariff threats serious and unfounded.

But if Trump follows through on the threat, Canada would have no choice but to retaliate, Ford said.

"I found his comments unfair. I found them insulting. It's like a family member stabbing you right in the heart," he said in Toronto.

"To compare us to Mexico is the most insulting thing I've ever heard from our friends and closest allies, the United States of America."

Trudeau needs to do better on border security, and give more resources to the Canada Border Services Agency to secure the borders and address the flow of drugs, Ford said.

"One ounce of any illegal drug is one ounce too many going back and forth across the border," he said.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller suggested Tuesday the government is looking at what additional resources are needed at the border.

The Trudeau government has been preparing for the possibility of another Trump presidency for nearly a year, reigniting their previous effort. 

"One of the really important things is that we be all pulling together on this. The Team Canada approach is what works," Trudeau said.

Cabinet ministers and provincial officials have been dispatched south of the border to meet with people around Trump who could influence U.S. policy.

That included governors, business leaders, unions and members of Congress.

The week Trump was re-elected, Trudeau also restored the Canada-U. S. relations cabinet committee that had been dormant since Joe Biden won the 2020 election.

That committee has met several times already and was in the midst of a meeting Monday night when Trump posted his tariff threat on Truth Social.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a statement Monday night that Canada places "the highest priority on border security and the integrity of our shared border."

She also stressed that cross-border trade between the two countries is significant, noting in particular that 60 per cent of U.S. crude oil imports came from Canada last year.

A 25 per cent tariff on those imports is expected to immediately jack up gas prices for American consumers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson
A man is lucky to be alive after his vehicle went off the road in Nelson, flipped over and caught fire. Police say the motorist was driving yesterday morning when his vehicle left the roadway and struck a large rock.

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Suspicious package found in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say officers cordoned off an area of downtown yesterday due to a suspicious package. Police say emergency response officers later examined the package and found no explosive device.

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver
North Vancouver RCMP say a man has been seriously injured in a targeted shooting overnight. Police say officers responded to calls of a shooting at 2 a-m and found a man in his 50s in the 700-block of East 29th Street.

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.
The head of the union for striking HandyDART transit workers in Metro Vancouver says he's cautiously optimistic ahead of Sunday's mediated negotiations with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes." Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 president Joe McCann says it's concerning that employer Transdev waited a week to come to the table with a mediator, but the union remains "optimistic" a deal can be done.

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog
Alberta's police watchdog says it was necessary for police to shoot a man who stabbed a mother and her child outside a school last year. Carolann Robillard and her 11-year-old were killed in what Edmonton police called a random attack.

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign
British Columbia's Official Opposition BC United party now says it will run some candidates in the Oct. 19 election, despite suspending its campaign last week to support the B.C. Conservative Party instead. A letter to party members says despite last week's suspension "we intend on running a select number of candidates" in the fall election.

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign