Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 11:00 AM
  • Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs.

The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

On Monday night, U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose a 25 per cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico the day he takes office in January.

Trump made the comments on Truth Social, saying the tariffs would remain in effect until Canada and Mexico stop illegal border crossings and prevent drugs like fentanyl from entering the U.S.

Trudeau said he had a good call with Trump Monday evening.

"We obviously talked about laying out the facts, talking about how the intense and effective connections between our two countries flow back and forth. We talked about some of the challenges that we can work on together," Trudeau said on his way into the weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday morning.

"It was a good call. This is something we can do, laying out the facts in constructive ways. This is a relationship we know takes a certain amount of working on and that's what we'll do."

Before Trump's post on Monday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford had asked for an urgent meeting between the premiers and Trudeau to prepare for the new administration.

That request took on new urgency following Trump's post.

Trudeau spoke by phone on Monday with Ford, who chairs the Council of the Federation, and other premiers including Quebec Premier François Legault.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Ford called the tariff threats serious and unfounded.

But if Trump follows through on the threat, Canada would have no choice but to retaliate, Ford said.

"I found his comments unfair. I found them insulting. It's like a family member stabbing you right in the heart," he said in Toronto.

"To compare us to Mexico is the most insulting thing I've ever heard from our friends and closest allies, the United States of America."

Trudeau needs to do better on border security, and give more resources to the Canada Border Services Agency to secure the borders and address the flow of drugs, Ford said.

"One ounce of any illegal drug is one ounce too many going back and forth across the border," he said.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller suggested Tuesday the government is looking at what additional resources are needed at the border.

The Trudeau government has been preparing for the possibility of another Trump presidency for nearly a year, reigniting their previous effort. 

"One of the really important things is that we be all pulling together on this. The Team Canada approach is what works," Trudeau said.

Cabinet ministers and provincial officials have been dispatched south of the border to meet with people around Trump who could influence U.S. policy.

That included governors, business leaders, unions and members of Congress.

The week Trump was re-elected, Trudeau also restored the Canada-U. S. relations cabinet committee that had been dormant since Joe Biden won the 2020 election.

That committee has met several times already and was in the midst of a meeting Monday night when Trump posted his tariff threat on Truth Social.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a statement Monday night that Canada places "the highest priority on border security and the integrity of our shared border."

She also stressed that cross-border trade between the two countries is significant, noting in particular that 60 per cent of U.S. crude oil imports came from Canada last year.

A 25 per cent tariff on those imports is expected to immediately jack up gas prices for American consumers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says
A new Statistics Canada report says people with disabilities are twice as likely to live in food insecure households than those without disabilities. The report used data from the 2021 Canadian Income Survey and found 26.4 per cent of respondents with a disability experienced some level of food insecurity, compared to 12.5 per cent of people without disabilities.

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

Patrols for fare evading transit riders
TransLink says it's boosting patrols for fare-evading transit riders.  The transit operator says it's begun a blitz to deter riders from freeloading on the transit system, aimed at lessening fare evasion by five-million-dollars a year. 

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'
The Calcite Creek fire in British Columbia's southern Interior is no longer considered a "wildfire of note," leaving three such blazes throughout the province. The BC Wildfire Service says two of those fires are classified as "being held," meaning they're expected to stay within their current or predetermined perimeters.

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases
Police in Calgary have accused a man of running a Ponzi scheme involving purported wine purchases. They say seven complainants have come forward reporting a total of $1.3 million in losses.

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases