Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 11:00 AM
  • Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs.

The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

On Monday night, U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose a 25 per cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico the day he takes office in January.

Trump made the comments on Truth Social, saying the tariffs would remain in effect until Canada and Mexico stop illegal border crossings and prevent drugs like fentanyl from entering the U.S.

Trudeau said he had a good call with Trump Monday evening.

"We obviously talked about laying out the facts, talking about how the intense and effective connections between our two countries flow back and forth. We talked about some of the challenges that we can work on together," Trudeau said on his way into the weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday morning.

"It was a good call. This is something we can do, laying out the facts in constructive ways. This is a relationship we know takes a certain amount of working on and that's what we'll do."

Before Trump's post on Monday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford had asked for an urgent meeting between the premiers and Trudeau to prepare for the new administration.

That request took on new urgency following Trump's post.

Trudeau spoke by phone on Monday with Ford, who chairs the Council of the Federation, and other premiers including Quebec Premier François Legault.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Ford called the tariff threats serious and unfounded.

But if Trump follows through on the threat, Canada would have no choice but to retaliate, Ford said.

"I found his comments unfair. I found them insulting. It's like a family member stabbing you right in the heart," he said in Toronto.

"To compare us to Mexico is the most insulting thing I've ever heard from our friends and closest allies, the United States of America."

Trudeau needs to do better on border security, and give more resources to the Canada Border Services Agency to secure the borders and address the flow of drugs, Ford said.

"One ounce of any illegal drug is one ounce too many going back and forth across the border," he said.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller suggested Tuesday the government is looking at what additional resources are needed at the border.

The Trudeau government has been preparing for the possibility of another Trump presidency for nearly a year, reigniting their previous effort. 

"One of the really important things is that we be all pulling together on this. The Team Canada approach is what works," Trudeau said.

Cabinet ministers and provincial officials have been dispatched south of the border to meet with people around Trump who could influence U.S. policy.

That included governors, business leaders, unions and members of Congress.

The week Trump was re-elected, Trudeau also restored the Canada-U. S. relations cabinet committee that had been dormant since Joe Biden won the 2020 election.

That committee has met several times already and was in the midst of a meeting Monday night when Trump posted his tariff threat on Truth Social.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a statement Monday night that Canada places "the highest priority on border security and the integrity of our shared border."

She also stressed that cross-border trade between the two countries is significant, noting in particular that 60 per cent of U.S. crude oil imports came from Canada last year.

A 25 per cent tariff on those imports is expected to immediately jack up gas prices for American consumers.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment
A schedule from the RCMP shows Constables Philip Dick, Ian Solven and Mersad Mesbah are slated to appear next February for code of conduct hearings over allegations including discrimination, harassment and discrediting the police force.

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground
New Democrat Leader David Eby has launched his British Columbia election campaign a day early, making the key battle ground of Surrey his first stop. The fixed election date of Oct. 19 means the campaign doesn't officially start until Saturday. 

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake
Police are asking the public for help in finding a seven-year-old girl missing from her home about 250 kilometres west of Prince George. RCMP say Oaklynn Schwedder was last seen outside her home in the small community of Southbank, near Burns Lake, at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops
Police in Kamloops ay they have launched an arson investigation into the fire that destroyed the 88-year-old Red Bridge across the South Thompson River. RCMP say in a statement that the blaze started early Thursday morning and by the time fire crews and police arrived, the bridge was fully engulfed in flames. 

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops

Calgary's mayor asks province to salvage parts of halted Green Line transit project

Calgary's mayor asks province to salvage parts of halted Green Line transit project
Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek is urging the Alberta government to preserve pieces of the massive Green Line transit project now being dissolved. City council voted this week to wind down the $6.2-billion project after Premier Danielle Smith's government said it would pull its $1.53 billion in funding — unless the city altered and extended the line's route.

Calgary's mayor asks province to salvage parts of halted Green Line transit project

Victims, including three Canadians, claim former Harrods boss Al Fayed was a 'monster' who abused young women, lawyers say

Victims, including three Canadians, claim former Harrods boss Al Fayed was a 'monster' who abused young women, lawyers say
Lawyers in Britain representing dozens of alleged victims — including three Canadians — of Mohamed Al Fayed, the former boss of Harrods, said Friday their clients assert that he was a “monster” who raped and sexually abused young women. Lawyer Bruce Drummond said three of Al Fayed's alleged victims were from Canada, including one who was "seriously, seriously assaulted when she was 16."

Victims, including three Canadians, claim former Harrods boss Al Fayed was a 'monster' who abused young women, lawyers say