Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is ready to deliver a "purposeful, forceful but reasonable immediate" response if U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on Canadian imports.

During an event in Toronto today, Trudeau said that it's "not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act."

His comments come as three federal cabinet ministers are in Washington making a last-ditch attempt to stop Trump from slapping 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports as early as Saturday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly, Public Safety Minister David McGuinty and Immigration Minister Marc Miller are all in the U.S. capital making a final diplomatic push to convince Republican lawmakers and Trump's team to sway the president.

Trump initially claimed his tariff threat was in response to a failure by Canada and Mexico to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

Trudeau today tried to reassure Canadians while acknowledging Canada "could be facing difficult times in the coming days and weeks."

"I won't sugarcoat it," he said.

Trudeau said he knows Canadians "might be anxious and worried, but I want them to know the federal government, and indeed all orders of government, have their backs."

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc sent a video Thursday describing Canada's border security efforts to Trump's nominee for commerce secretary.

Trudeau said Friday Canada has responded to Trump's concerns with a $1.3 billion border security plan.

"In fact, the first patrol helicopters began monitoring the border earlier this week, and new canine teams, along with imaging tools, are being deployed to detect and stop the flow of fentanyl," he said.

He noted less than one per cent of fentanyl and illegal crossings into the United States come from Canada.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover
The exterior of police stations will soon look different in Surrey. New signs have been ordered to reflect a transfer of policing responsibility to the municipal Surrey Police Service from the RCMP, after six years of planning and political turmoil. 

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital
Mounties in Burnaby say westbound lanes of Highway 1 near the city have been shut after a multi-vehicle crash. They say just before 3 a.m., officers responded to reports of a five-car collision on the highway, just east of the Kensington Avenue off-ramp.

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning along northern sections of east Vancouver Island, with downpours expected to begin this evening as a "vigorous Pacific frontal system" moves over the coast. It says steady rain will begin in the afternoon, intensifying in the evening and is expected to continue into Wednesday.

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts
British Columbia's new cabinet is expected to be sworn in on Nov. 18, almost a month after the provincial election that gave Premier David Eby's New Democrats the slimmest of majorities, pending recounts.

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming
The Metro Vancouver regional district says construction will begin this month on a new 1.4-kilometre-long water supply tunnel deep under Stanley Park. A statement from the district says the tunnel will replace a water main that was built in the 1930s with work expected to stretch into 2029.

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping
British Columbia's businesses leaders are urging port employers and more than 700 unionized workers to resolve their dispute immediately as a lockdown paralyzes shipping along Canada's west coast. The BC Maritime Employers Association says no negotiations are scheduled a day after it launched what it calls a defensive lockout against members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514.

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping