Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Alleged arrest in series of crimes
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested after allegedly committing a series of crimes over the long weekend including stealing and crashing a car. Police say they received calls yesterday afternoon of the suspect wielding a machete and breaking windows while assaulting people in the 21-hundred block of Duggan Road.

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins
Most HandyDART trips in Metro Vancouver have been cancelled as unionized workers for the specialized transit service begin a strike. Regional transport provider TransLink says in an online notice that most HandyDART trips are cancelled due to the job action but the service is still available for people with medical conditions who need to get to appointments for cancer, renal or multiple sclerosis treatments.

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll
When August rolled around, April Hicke realized the $100 she typically gives her 13-year-old son to update his wardrobe in time for school to start was no longer enough. Hicke increased her son's budget to $200, taught him about looking for deals and used an annual Patagonia sale and resale sites like Poshmark to find savings on such big-ticket items as winter coats.

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists
Former British Columbia Liberal cabinet minister Terry Lake says he'll consider voting for Premier David Eby's New Democrats if the B.C. Conservatives don't shift to the political centre, especially on the issue of climate change.

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists

U.S. escalates efforts to halt Ottawa's digital services tax

U.S. escalates efforts to halt Ottawa's digital services tax
The federal government says it's in close contact with its American partners as the Biden administration escalates efforts to halt Canada’s tax on large foreign digital services companies.  The Office of the United States Trade Representative has requested dispute settlement consultations with Ottawa under the Canada-United States-Mexico trade agreement.

U.S. escalates efforts to halt Ottawa's digital services tax

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada
The immigration minister announced a cap in January as a way to quell the rapid increase in the number of international students, citing pressure on housing, health care and other services. The new policy limits the number of student visa applications the government would accept into processing, and that was expected to result in a 35 per cent drop in the number of students in 2024 compared to last year.

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada