Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hot long weekend ahead

Hot long weekend ahead
Drivers are being warned ahead of the upcoming long weekend that lengthy trips and hot temperatures can be a dangerous combination leading to fatigue. The I-C-B-C says even a slight reduction in reaction time can significantly increase the risk of crashing.

Hot long weekend ahead

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Man stabbed in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses after a man was stabbed downtown on Monday night. Police say a witness flagged down an officer outside the police station to report someone in distress and officers found the man bleeding from his abdomen.

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP
A father and son who were allegedly planning a violent attack in Toronto and had links to the Islamic State group are facing terrorism related charges, the RCMP said Wednesday. The two were arrested at a hotel in Richmond Hill, Ont., on the weekend, and were in possession of an axe and a machete, the Mounties said. 

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator
The case involved a B.C. couple, Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian, who were ordered by the British Columbia Securities Commission to pay $13.5 million in administrative penalties and $5.6 million to repay those who lost money in a market manipulation scheme that "caused vulnerable investors to lose millions of dollars."

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected
A fire rampaging through Jasper National Park remained out of control Wednesday, while officials worked to restore power and water in the park's townsite and to hash out a plan for vacationers to retrieve their stranded camping trailers.

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River
A landslide blocking a river in British Columbia's central Interior has injured a man and prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue evacuation orders due to "immediate danger to life and safety" caused by flooding triggered by the slide. The two evacuation orders span 107 square kilometres along the Chilcotin River southwest of the City of Williams Lake.

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River