Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is urging Canadians to leave an increasingly volatile Lebanon while they can. In a statement today, Joly says the security situation could deteriorate further without warning due to sustained and escalating violence between Hezbollah and Israel.

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again
Former British Columbia premier and Canada's ambassador to Germany John Horgan is facing his third battle with cancer. Ravi Parmar, the New Democrat member for Horgan's former Langford-Juan de Fuca riding, says he heard from the former premier today and was told he has thyroid cancer.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet
The British Columbia Wildfire Service says its crews are responding to a 30-hectare wildfire billowing smoke over Highway 99 north of Lillooet.  The agency says on Facebook that the Tiffen Creek wildfire is "highly visible" from the highway and from the towns of Lillooet and Pavilion. 

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing
Police say a man is in hospital in stable condition after a stabbing in Kelowna. Central Okanagan R-C-M-P say the man was found with several stab wounds near the shopping area along Springfield Road at around 3:15 yesterday afternoon.

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July
Thousands of families in British Columbia can expect to see increased financial support in their bank accounts starting by mid-July. B.C. Premier David Eby says about 340,000 families with children — 66,000 more than last year — will have access to the BC Family Benefit program after the province increased the income threshold for a family's eligibility.  

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple
New projections by Statistics Canada suggest the nation's population could reach 63 million by 2073, with the number of people aged 85 or older set to triple. The agency says migration will be the key driver of population increase under all scenarios, while natural growth only plays a "marginal role" as the population ages and fertility rates remain low.

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple