Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in assault

Man charged in assault
Surrey police say a 41-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault in connection to a stabbing last month. R-C-M-P say a woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries on May 26th.

Man charged in assault

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon has lost another member of his election team to British Columbia's Conservative Party. Business leader and former District of Sechelt councillor Chris Moore announced he will no longer represent BC United in the October provincial election in the Powell River-Sunshine Coast riding and will instead run as a candidate for Leader John Rustad's Conservatives.

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says
A new report by Statistics Canada says deaths in the country's 12 highest-population cities go up on days when there is extreme heat.  The study says people aged 65 and older are the hardest hit. Cities with larger proportions of people renting their homes had higher risks of death during extreme heat events. 

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego
It has been two weeks since a massive water pipe ruptured in Calgary, leaving residents under restrictions. Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Wednesday also marked the fourth day in a row Calgarians have successfully used less water than the city produces, avoiding the risk of the taps going dry. 

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon
Most federal Liberals still insist they can turn things around in the polls once Canadians really start looking at the options in front of them. MPs gathered on Parliament Hill for the final time today before the summer recess, and members of all parties seemed eager for the break.

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services
The commission filed a petition to B.C. Supreme Court last year against Harrison Healthcare asking for an injunction, saying a reasonable person would believe they could obtain priority access to health benefits by paying $4,500 a year for a premium service.

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services