Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa
Workers at Canada's borders are no longer planning to go on strike this week after their union reached a tentative agreement with the federal government. The Public Service Alliance of Canada said Tuesday it reached a deal with the government for Canada Border Services Agency employees after working "around the clock." 

Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Delta weekend fire destroys vacant building

Delta weekend fire destroys vacant building
Police in Delta are looking for witnesses after a weekend fire destroyed a vacant building in Ladner. They say there were no injuries caused by the fire, which happened in the 49-hundred block of Chisholm Street and was reported shortly before midnight Saturday.

Delta weekend fire destroys vacant building

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park
The crash that killed the adult bear, nicknamed Nakoda, happened on Thursday about 12 hours after the two cubs were struck and killed on the highway in southeast B.C. that morning. The agency says wildlife management staff had been repairing fencing along the road when the adult bear was startled by a train and ran in front of two vehicles. 

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal
According to IHIT, 28-year-old Yuvraj Goyal, who was shot to death in South Surrey on Friday, had no history of police contact.  He was employed at car dealership in Surrey.  Goyal came to Canada nearly 6 years ago as an International student. 

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight
The union representing more than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency employees says workers are set to strike on Friday if a deal is not reached with the federal government by then.  The Public Service Alliance of Canada says it has moved its strike deadline to Friday at 12:01 a.m. after extending negotiations with the Treasury Board last week. 

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna
RCMP in Kelowna are investigating after a woman accused a man of trying to sexually assault her as she was walking along a trail in Mission Creek Regional Park. The woman told officers that the man grabbed her last night and tried to assault her, but she was able to run away and call police.

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna