Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time
Surrey's mayor is criticizing the B-C government's recent announcement that the Pattullo Bridge replacement has been delayed for the second time.  The province says the bridge spanning the Fraser River between New Westminster and Surrey will not be completed and open to traffic until the fall of 2025. 

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service
A report from the BC Coroners Service says 126 children and youth younger than 19 died from toxic drugs between 2019 and 2023. That makes unregulated drug toxicity the leading cause of unnatural death for the age group over those five years.

126 children and youth died from toxic drugs in five years, says BC Coroners Service

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops
Mounties in the Interior say two people are dead after a crash between two semi-trucks on Highway 1 near Sorrento, east of Kamloops. Chase R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at 11:45 P-M and found one of the semis travelling east had failed to make a right turn, resulting in the truck flipping onto its side in the oncoming lane. 

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

2 killed in Cloverdale crash
Police in Surrey are asking for anyone with dash-camera footage to come forward after a crash that killed two people in the Cloverdale neighbourhood. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at around 4:40 p-m yesterday, after a Dodge Ram pickup heading east on Highway 10 crashed into a westbound Acura sedan attempting to make a left turn onto 184th Street.

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Minimum wage going up June 1st
B-C's minimum hourly wage is increasing to 17 dollars and 40 cents, up from 16.75. The Labour Ministry says the 3.9 per cent increase kicks in on Saturday. It says in a statement that the increase will help about 240-thousand workers in the province who currently earn less than 17.40 an hour.

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Israel seemed to be on the verge of approving a program to get Palestinian relatives of Canadians out of the Gaza Strip before the country's invasion of the town of Rafah. His comments come amid mounting criticism over measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller