Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. woman arrested over speech that praised Hamas attack

B.C. woman arrested over speech that praised Hamas attack
Police say a 44-year-old woman has been arrested in a hate-crime investigation over a speech in Vancouver that praised the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas on Israel. A statement from the Vancouver Police Department says the woman "referred to a number of terrorist organizations as heroes." 

B.C. woman arrested over speech that praised Hamas attack

Safety gear, training, helped B.C. wildfire pilot survive crash, safety board says

Safety gear, training, helped B.C. wildfire pilot survive crash, safety board says
A Transportation Safety Board report says experience, recent training and safety equipment were key factors in a pilot surviving the crash of a firefighting plane south of Cranbrook in August 2022. The report says the pilot was alone in the Air Tractor AT-802A aircraft and had just finished his eighth water drop when the engine suddenly lost power, with no time to recover because of the low altitude.   

Safety gear, training, helped B.C. wildfire pilot survive crash, safety board says

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident
London Drugs is investigating whether personal data was breached in a cybersecurity incident that has prompted the company to close its stores across Western Canada until further notice. A statement from the Richmond-based retailer and pharmacy chain says it will notify "affected individuals" if the probe finds their data was breached.

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident

Early morning shooting in Langley

Early morning shooting in Langley
Police are investigating after a man with a gunshot wound was found on the side of the road in Langley, east of Vancouver, early this morning. R-C-M-P say the victim was conscious and breathing when first responders arrived and transported him to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.  

Early morning shooting in Langley

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern
A B.C. government lawyer says court documents in a policing dispute with the City of Surrey contain significant allegations of harassment and bullying by the RCMP that should be kept from public view because they could cause "undue public concern." Trevor Bant was speaking at the start of a hearing on Surrey's petition challenging a direction by Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth that the city transition from the RCMP to the municipal Surrey Police Service.

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Nelson Hyacinth has been charged over the alleged assault of a 28-year man, Jatinder Singh, along the White Rock pier and promenade on April 21st. Two days later, 26-year-old Kulwinder Singh Sohi was fatally stabbed in the same area, though R-C-M-P did not provide an update on any further charges.

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested