Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is a "fraud" for portraying himself as a friend of the working class, the head of the country's largest labour organization said Thursday, urging unions to do everything they can to expose him before the next federal election. Canadian Labour Congress President Bea Bruske delivered her call to arms as union leaders gathered in Ottawa to plot strategy ahead of the vote, which must happen before October 2025. 

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push
Foreign aid groups are hailing the federal Liberal government's return to a policy of increasing humanitarian and development spending each year, while asking for a plan to push allies to reverse a global decline in aid. 

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the additional buses will reduce overcrowding and wait times throughout the region. A statement from the province says the money will go toward purchasing buses to increase future services, while TransLink will put remaining funds from $479 million the province provided last year toward immediate improvements.

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision
Police say a cyclist is dead after a collision with a Dodge Ram pickup truck in East Vancouver. It happened just before 2 P-M yesterday near the intersection of Clark Drive and East 11th Avenue.  

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision

School bus crash near Mission

School bus crash near Mission
Police say the driver of a pickup truck was airlifted to hospital after a head-on crash with a school bus outside Mission, BC, yesterday. RCMP say the truck was travelling west when it reportedly entered the opposite land and collided with the bus.

School bus crash near Mission

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe
Mounties in B.C.'s Lower Mainland say a months-long trafficking investigation spanned multiple cities and led to the seizure of significant quantities of illicit drugs, along with guns and $500,000 in cash. A statement from Chilliwack RCMP says police searched locations including an apartment in downtown Chilliwack, a home in Vancouver's Collingwood area, two residences in Langley's Willowbrook neighbourhood as well as three in Surrey.

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe