Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is exploring the possibility of joining the second phase of AUKUS, a U.S.-led alliance with the United Kingdom and Australia.   The initial pillar of the alliance, forged in 2021, was focused on developing nuclear-powered submarines for Australia.

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau

Delta lumber mill catches fire

Delta lumber mill catches fire
Firefighters in Delta, south of Vancouver, spent yesterday getting flames under control at a lumber mill along the Fraser River. Delta Fire Deputy Chief Dave Ayton says crews got the call at around 1 a-m yesterday and arrived to find a pile of stacked lumber on fire.

Delta lumber mill catches fire

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds
Crowds from near and far, united in celestial anticipation, have started to gather along the Canadian path of the total solar eclipse.  The path of totality, where the sun goes directly behind the moon, will first cross through southwestern Ontario around 3:15 p.m. Monday and move east through Quebec and Atlantic Canada before exiting Newfoundland around 3:45 p.m. eastern time.

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman
Police in Vancouver say they've made an arrest in the death of a 49-year-old woman found on a residential street in South Vancouver last week.  The woman was discovered unresponsive near Rosemont Drive and East 57th Avenue, near the Fraserview Golf Course, just after 6 a-m on Wednesday.

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River
Police in Metro Vancouver say an underwater recovery team is working to locate a vehicle submerged in the Fraser River and determine whether it was occupied. Coquitlam RCMP say they received a report of a vehicle in the water by the boat launch at Maquabeak Park, near the Port Mann Bridge, shortly after 12:15 a.m. on Saturday.

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information
Mounties in northern British Columbia are asking for any information about a head-on crash that killed two teenagers and seriously injured another man. A statement from RCMP in Chetwynd, northeast of Prince George, says officers responded to the crash along Highway 97 just after midnight on Sunday.

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information