Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957
Statistics Canada says the country posted its highest annual population growth rate in more than six decades last year. The agency says the population grew 3.2 per cent, its fastest pace since 1957 when it grew 3.3 per cent.

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

Child luring incident in East Vancouver
Vancouver police say they're investigating a disturbing child luring incident in East Vancouver on Friday. Police say they're looking for a South Asian man between 20 and 30 years old who allegedly propositioned a 13-year-old boy not far from the 29th Avenue SkyTrain station around 8 in the evening of March 22nd.   

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

New affordable housing in Langley

New affordable housing in Langley
A new building with close to 100 affordable homes is now open in Langley. A statement from B-C's housing ministry says the five-storey building offers apartments of various sizes for people with low and moderate incomes.

New affordable housing in Langley

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, the integration of technology in education is both inevitable and contentious. Recently, British Columbia made headlines with the announcement of an upcoming province-wide restriction on cellphone use in public schools, sparking a debate that echoes the concerns and perspectives of various stakeholders – parents, students, and teachers alike.

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say
Data from Vancouver police shows a "dramatic" drop in small drug seizures after decriminalization came into effect in British Columbia last year. The department says during the first nine months of the program officers did not seize any drugs under 2.5 grams, as is outlined in Health Canada's three-year exemption.  

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M