Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Singh threatens to end political pact

Singh threatens to end political pact
If the government doesn't make good on pharmacare legislation by March, that would kill the Liberal-NDP political pact, New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh said Wednesday. But he made it clear that any collapse in the deal, which is meant to hold off a federal election until next year, would be the Liberals' fault.

Singh threatens to end political pact

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids
B.C.'s government has ordered that flavoured nicotine pouches only be sold from behind pharmacy counters in the province in an effort to prevent youth from becoming addicted. The order signed by Health Minister Adrian Dix means buyers of the pouches, which contain up to four milligrams of nicotine, will have to consult a pharmacist.

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby
Premier David Eby says social media companies can't be let "off the hook" after two B.C. teens died by suicide shortly after falling victim to online sextortion scams. Eby's comments came one day after Surrey RCMP announced a man in Nigeria has been arrested and charged in one of those cases following a lengthy international investigation.

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board
High-risk B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley, who went on the run for 10 days in November, will still be allowed overnight community leave with the approval of his parole officer, after the parole board decided not to impose new restrictions. Premier David Eby says he "can't fathom" the ruling and it isn't acceptable that Hopley, who abducted a three-year-old boy in 2011, has been "released again with the same conditions."  

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians
Gagan Ajit Singh, Anmoldeep Singh, Hashmeet Kaur, Iymanjot Kaur, and Arundeep Thind  have been charged with  mischief to property, threats, and firearms-related offences.  

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash
Two trucking firms say the B.C. government wrongly concluded they were "one operation" after an overpass crash last December, and want a court to let them both back on the province's road.  B.C.-based Chohan Freight Forwarders Ltd. and Alberta-based Chohan Group Ltd. say in B.C. Supreme Court petitions that they're separate legal entities but have a family connection. 

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash