Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer
Researchers say a deadly disease starts out slow but has the potential to devastate British Columbia's deer population over time, after the discovery of the first cases in the province. The concerns come after the B.C. government confirmed two cases of chronic wasting disease found in animals south of Cranbrook in the Kootenay region.

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl did not bring a gun into a Vancouver courtroom eight weeks ago, on the day Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Brock Martland, who represents the father, said it's an "unfounded proposition" that Ali's lawyers have repeated several times, aiming to exclude the man from post-trial proceedings on safety grounds.

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire
A coroner's inquest jury looking into the Winters Hotel fire that killed two people in Vancouver two years ago was stood down Friday to deliberate potential recommendations to avoid similar deaths. For two weeks the inquest heard evidence about the fire that killed residents Mary Ann Garlow and Dennis Guay, including testimony that the sprinkler system wasn't operating because of a smaller fire three days earlier.

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson has apologized for saying Israel was founded on a "crappy piece of land," remarks that have angered pro-Palestinian groups and others and triggered calls for her resignation. Robinson said in a social media post on Thursday that her comments were "disrespectful," and she was referring to the land having limited natural resources.  

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Cremated remains found at YVR

Cremated remains found at YVR
Police are asking for the public's help in reuniting cremated remains with the rightful guardian. Mounties in Richmond say someone left a package at the outbound international screening checkpoint at Vancouver International Airport on November 27th.

Cremated remains found at YVR

Man charged with multiple B & E's

Man charged with multiple B & E's
A man suspected of multiple break-and-enters last year and in 2022 has been charged with 27 counts in relation to the incidents. Burnaby Mounties say the 44-year-old is facing charges ranging from break-and-enter to possession of stolen property, including for the purpose of trafficking.

Man charged with multiple B & E's