Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony
Members of Parliament on the Commons ethics committee agreed to invite interim commissioner Konrad von Finckenstein to testify at the earliest opportunity once the House comes back from a winter break at the end of the month. 

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
A man has been arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle after driving through a police traffic stop in Surrey. Surrey R-C-M-P say they responded on January 3rd to reports of a suspected impaired driver near the 13-thousand-900 block of Fraser Highway.    

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery
Vancouver police have arrested a man suspected of a violent robbery after he threatened to jump into False Creek. Police say officers were called to a business near West 3rd Avenue and Fir Street at around 10:30 yesterday morning for a suspect armed with bear spray and a samurai sword.    

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm
Vancouver International Airport is recommending travellers plan ahead and check their flight status as Environment Canada forecasts snow starting this morning. The airport authority says it anticipates fewer planes will arrive and depart from the airport due to the weather.    

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak
The mayor of Delta, B.C., is calling the lack of communication from FortisBC "an egregious oversight" after the utility didn't notify the public for more than four hours after a leak at a renewable gas plant. George Harvie says on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it was unacceptable for Delta residents and businesses to be "left in the dark" after a leak at a plant in Ladner.

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have been closed today, as heavy snow falls across a wide swath of southern British Columbia. Some universities and colleges in the Lower Mainland have also cancelled in-person classes, including the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University and the B.C. Institute of Technology.    

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.