Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride
Police in Abbotsford say they handed out close to 300 traffic tickets and impounded more than 100 vehicles in what it called "project joyride." The department’s traffic enforcement unit spent numerous shifts in October and November focusing on high-risk driving behaviours such as speeding and street racing.

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm
B.C.'s Transport Ministry says in a statement it has reached out to counterparts in Alberta about the suspension of the safety certificate for Chohan Freight Forwarders' 65-truck fleet. The statement came after social media users shared photographs they said were taken in B.C. this week that showed trucks branded "Chohan Group" and "Edmonton." A truck operated by Langley, B.C., based Chohan Freight Forwarders was involved in the Dec. 28 crash that lodged a steel girder in an overpass over Highway 99 in Delta.

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work
British Columbia's government has been fined more than $700,000 after inspectors say they found unsafe wildfire mitigation practices at a site in the province's northeast. A summary posted online by WorkSafeBC says inspectors went to a site near Wonowon, B.C., where trees were being cut down to reduce wildfire fuel, finding evidence of unsafe cuts.  

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve
Mounties say the suspect is a South Asian man in his 40s with a slim build, and investigators are seeking dashcam footage from the area of Brentwood Drive between Beta Avenue and Delta Avenue from between 6 and 7 p-m on New Year’s Eve.   

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve

Time not right to stage play amid Gaza tensions, says Victoria, B.C., theatre

Time not right to stage play amid Gaza tensions, says Victoria, B.C., theatre
Tensions connected to the war between Israel and Hamas have prompted a British Columbia theatre company to cancel the scheduled run of a play set in the region. Victoria's Belfry Theatre says in a statement the timing isn't right to stage The Runner by Canadian writer and actor Christopher Morris and it could "further tensions" in the community.

Time not right to stage play amid Gaza tensions, says Victoria, B.C., theatre

Israel's peers warn against displacing Palestinians in Gaza to places like Canada

Israel's peers warn against displacing Palestinians in Gaza to places like Canada
Israel's Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said his country should "encourage migration" of Palestinians from Gaza and re-establish Israeli settlements there, echoing similar comments from National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir. U.S. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller condemnedremarks from both politicians as "inflammatory and irresponsible."   

Israel's peers warn against displacing Palestinians in Gaza to places like Canada