Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report
A new report from the Yellowhead Institute says Canada won't complete all 94 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action until 2081. The institute found that no calls to action were completed over the course of 2023. 

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist
As Liberals and New Democrats negotiate what a future national drug plan should look like, a new survey suggests pharmacare is not at the top of the priority list for most Canadians. The survey shows that when asked to name their top two health-care priorities, only 18 per cent of those surveyed said the government should prioritize creating a new, universal, single-payer drug plan.

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits
The Canada Revenue Agency says 185 employees have been fired to date for claiming a federal COVID-19 benefit when they were not eligible for it. That's an increase of 65 since the CRA last updated the public on its review in September. 

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits

BC company forfeits 10M to Province

BC company forfeits 10M to Province
A B-C company has forfeited 10 million dollars to the province over allegations it provided payment services for people around the world who ran scams aimed at elderly seniors.  Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says a settlement agreement with PacNet Services is the largest such confiscation in the history of its civil forfeiture program.   

BC company forfeits 10M to Province

Ban on single-use-plastic bags, straws or utensils in stores & restaurants starting tomorrow

Ban on single-use-plastic bags, straws or utensils in stores & restaurants starting tomorrow
Shoppers should expect to see no single-use-plastic bags, straws or utensils in stores and restaurants starting tomorrow, as new federal single-use plastics rules take effect.  Cities like Vancouver and Victoria have already have their own rules in place.

Ban on single-use-plastic bags, straws or utensils in stores & restaurants starting tomorrow

Travellers can expect busy days at YVR

Travellers can expect busy days at YVR
Vancouver International Airport is reminding travellers to plan ahead as it’s expecting its busiest travel days for December this week.  Y-V-R says from today to December 26th, close to 70-thousand passengers will be travelling through the airport per day to 97 destinations.  

Travellers can expect busy days at YVR