Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media layoffs, calling it a 'garbage decision'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2024 10:57 AM
  • Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media layoffs, calling it a 'garbage decision'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is trash-talking BCE Inc.'s widespread layoffs, calling the cuts a "garbage decision."

Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media's decision to end multiple television newscasts and that the corporation should know better.

The outlet made program cuts Thursday after its parent company announced job reductions and the sale of 45 of its 103 regional radio stations.

Trudeau says large corporations have bought up radio stations, small community newspapers and local outlets, only to lay off journalists and change the quality of their offerings.

He says when readership and viewership then decline, corporations sell off outlets and say they're not profitable, eroding local journalism and Canada's democracy. 

Chief executive Mirko Bibic says Bell Media's advertising revenues declined by $140 million in 2023 compared with the year before, and the company's news division is seeing more than $40 million in annual operating losses.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for additional victims and video evidence after a man damaged a number of parked vehicles in the Maillardville neighbourhood. Police say the male suspect was arrested Tuesday night after reports surfaced of someone damaging parked cars between 10 p-m and 11:30 p-m.

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap
Protesters have tried to bypass an RCMP blockade on the Trans-Canada Highway in British Columbia's Shuswap region, amid tensions over the refusal of some residents to obey wildfire evacuation orders. Live social media videos of the incident posted Wednesday evening show about 20 protesters confronting a blockade of police cars near the lakeside community of Sorrento.

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography
A Coquitlam man has been sentenced to 13 months in jail after being convicted of child pornography charges. Police say 39-year-old Christopher Thomas Smith was convicted earlier this week for publishing, distributing and possessing the material.

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial
The girl's body was found in Burnaby's Central Park in the early hours of July 19, 2017, just hours after her mother reported her missing. The woman repeatedly wept at the mention of the girl's name during the trial of Ibrahim Ali on Wednesday.  

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll
When asked which level of government deserves the most blame for the crisis, 40 per cent of respondents pointed the finger at the federal government and 32 per cent at their provincial government. Just six per cent of those polled felt their municipal government was to blame and another 22 per cent said they were not sure.  

Canadians split on whether to blame provinces or feds for housing crisis: poll

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver
Vancouver Police are investigating after a pedestrian was struck and killed this morning in South Vancouver. A 60-year-old man was struck by a transit bus near Fleming Street and East 41st Ave just after 6 a.m. The man was taken to hospital where he later died.  

Pedestrian killed in South Vancouver