Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says most could get vaccine by September

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2020 07:27 PM
  • Trudeau says most could get vaccine by September

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pushed back against critics of his government's COVID-19 vaccination plan with assurances most Canadians would be inoculated by September 2021, with a former NATO commander leading distribution.

Trudeau announced Friday that Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin will lead the nation's vaccine distribution efforts, overseeing logistics that include cold storage requirements, data sharing, and reaching Indigenous communities.

 

 

He also acknowledged the public's eagerness to know when those efforts might begin, but said what matters most is the "finish line."

Trudeau said most citizens are expected to be vaccinated by September 2021, and it was important to make sure this was done as safely as possible.

Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo has suggested he hoped to see most Canadians vaccinatedby the end of next year, but this is the most specific the Liberal government has been.

Njoo later said the Prime Minister's prediction is "in the same ballpark" as previous rollout plans, and said September was a good target to work towards.

Trudeau said that plan positions Canada well, despite criticism the country may not start vaccinations as early as the United States, Germany and the United Kingdom.

"The fact that the doctors highlighted that if all goes according to plan, we should be able to have the majority of Canadians vaccinated by next September, puts us in very good stead," Trudeau insisted.

"We're going to continue to do everything we can to deliver for Canadians, listening to experts working with top people to make sure that we're doing this, right, and quickly and safely for all Canadians."

Ottawa has finalized agreements with five vaccine makers and is in advanced negotiations with two more.

The deals would secure 194 million doses with the option to buy another 220 million, said Arianne Reza, the assistant deputy minister with Public Services and Procurement Canada.

The news follows more alarming daily COVID-19 case numbers from Ontario, which reported a record 1,855 new cases, and 20 more deaths on Friday.

Quebec reported 1,269 new COVID-19 infections and 38 more deaths linked to the virus, including nine that occurred in the past 24 hours.

Nunavut announced four new cases of COVID-19.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police seek public assistance in locating a wanted man who has domestic assault warrants

Abbotsford Police seek public assistance in locating a wanted man who has domestic assault warrants
Abbotsford Police need the public's help in finding a wanted man.

Abbotsford Police seek public assistance in locating a wanted man who has domestic assault warrants

Sunny Hill Health Centre: A New Beginning

Sunny Hill Health Centre: A New Beginning
The new Sunny Hill was made possible through the significant support from the Government of British Columbia, Provincial Health Services Authority and our committed and generous donors.

Sunny Hill Health Centre: A New Beginning

Man critically injured after Vancouver assault

Man critically injured after Vancouver assault
A statement from police says he may have been on the ground for up to 12 hours before help was called.

Man critically injured after Vancouver assault

B.C. police investigate after man was set on fire

B.C. police investigate after man was set on fire
Investigators later discovered the 20-year-old man had been sleeping under a highway bridge when he was set on fire and his belongings taken.

B.C. police investigate after man was set on fire

NDP seeks CERB extension, sick leave

NDP seeks CERB extension, sick leave
Singh wouldn’t say clearly whether those are conditions for backing the Liberals in a confidence vote on the speech, which will come after a debate in the House of Commons.

NDP seeks CERB extension, sick leave

Work with Canada on Pacific Rim plan: Blumenauer

Work with Canada on Pacific Rim plan: Blumenauer
Rep. Earl Blumenauer, chairman of the House Ways and Means trade subcommittee, recalled his efforts to make the Trans-Pacific Partnership more palatable to critics before President Donald Trump pulled the U.S. out of the deal in 2017.

Work with Canada on Pacific Rim plan: Blumenauer