Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 01:44 PM
  • Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

U.S. President Donald Trump told an elite global audience today that he is going to ask the OPEC+ alliance of oil exporting countries to bring down the cost of oil.

He made the comments in a wide-ranging address to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Trump, appearing via video link from the White House, said Saudi Arabia and OPEC didn’t show "a lot of love" by not acting on oil prices ahead of the U.S. election in November.

The president campaigned on U.S. energy dominance and signed an executive order earlier this week declaring an energy "emergency."

Trump also told the crowd that Canada has been tough to deal with over the years.

He has promised to hit Canada with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs and told the Davos conference there would be no duties if the country becomes a U.S. state.

MORE National ARTICLES

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease
A new case of chronic wasting disease, an incurable illness that has the potential to decimate deer populations, has been identified in British Columbia. The B.C. Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship said the discovery of the infection in a white-tailed deer hunted in the Kootenay region last month brought the total number of confirmed cases in the province to three, after two cases were confirmed in February. 

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?
A new storm system is bearing down on British Columbia and is expected to bring another blast of potentially damaging winds, as the province continues to clean up from this week's powerful bomb cyclone. Environment Canada has issued a fresh round of special weather statements ahead of the storm's expected arrival on Friday, covering Vancouver Island, the Sunshine and Central coasts, and Howe Sound where winds up to 90 km/h are forecast.

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Car theft in Prince George

Car theft in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P want to identify a suspect in a theft on Monday from a car in a local parking lot. Police say he a took a bag containing clothing and other personal items worth over one-thousand-dollars in the lot in the 300-block of Victoria Street.

Car theft in Prince George

Early ski season for resorts

Early ski season for resorts
Several ski resorts across B-C -- including Whistler-Blackcomb, Big White and Cypress Mountain -- are starting their season early thanks to fresh powder. Big White says the resort outside Kelowna is set to open tomorrow, six days ahead of schedule, with an alpine base of 104-centimetres.

Early ski season for resorts

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed
An operating permit has been granted for the Cariboo Gold Mine in central British Columbia, a project that's expected to process 1.1 million tonnes of gold-bearing ore a year but is still opposed by a First Nation. The B.C. government says in a news release that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete. 

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued
The Canada Border Services Agency provided the figures after being asked about a lawsuit against it by a Victoria solar firm, which says a shipment of solar panels worth more than $5 million was wrongfully detained over false suspicions they were made with forced labour in China. 

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued