Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 01:44 PM
  • Trump calls on OPEC to bring down cost of oil at World Economic Forum

U.S. President Donald Trump told an elite global audience today that he is going to ask the OPEC+ alliance of oil exporting countries to bring down the cost of oil.

He made the comments in a wide-ranging address to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Trump, appearing via video link from the White House, said Saudi Arabia and OPEC didn’t show "a lot of love" by not acting on oil prices ahead of the U.S. election in November.

The president campaigned on U.S. energy dominance and signed an executive order earlier this week declaring an energy "emergency."

Trump also told the crowd that Canada has been tough to deal with over the years.

He has promised to hit Canada with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs and told the Davos conference there would be no duties if the country becomes a U.S. state.

MORE National ARTICLES

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism
Residential school survivors are calling on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism, echoing one of the findings in a report about unmarked graves and burial sites associated with the institutions. Doug George, a survivor of the Mohawk Institute, said Canadians need to acknowledge the schools' place in history and to ensure the children who died are not silenced.

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election
Vote counting in the British Columbia provincial election will finally conclude next week with judicial recounts set for two ridings. Elections BC says the province's Supreme Court has confirmed recounts in Kelowna Centre and Surrey-Guildford will take place on Nov. 7 and Nov. 8.

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river
The Environment Ministry says the storm that rolled over the region for three days starting on Oct. 18 left a trail of damage at Golden Ears Provincial Park, north of Maple Ridge. A statement from the ministry says the province hopes to be able to reopen a portion of the park this fall, but the exact timeline is not yet clear.

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug
Mounties have dismantled what they say is the largest, most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canada. Police say they believe organized crime ran the operation where there was mass-production and distribution of fentanyl and methamphetamine across Canada and internationally.

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document
Court documents in the case of two men who murdered British Columbia businessman Ripudaman Singh Malik in 2022 say they were "hired and paid" to kill him. However, the agreed statement of facts does not say who hired them to kill Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 in a B.C. court of the Air India bombings that killed 331 people in 1985. 

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December
Creditors of three major tobacco companies will get the chance to weigh in on a proposed multi-billion-dollar settlement in December. An Ontario court has approved a motion that would see representatives for the creditors, which include provincial governments and plaintiffs in two Quebec class-action lawsuits, review and vote on the proposal on Dec. 12.

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December