Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trump says threatened economywide tariffs will hit Canada, Mexico on Tuesday

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 02:04 PM
  • Trump says threatened economywide tariffs will hit Canada, Mexico on Tuesday

U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday that 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy, will start Tuesday, tipping the continent into a trade war.

"No room left for Mexico or for Canada (to make a deal)," Trump said at the White House.

Trump's executive order to implement economywide tariffs was delayed until Tuesday after Canada and Mexico agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

A White House official confirmed on background Monday that the wording in the executive order means the tariffs would kick in at midnight.

The order initially tied the tariffs to the illegal flow of people and drugs across the borders — but Trump previously said the delay would allow time for an “economic” deal.

"What they’ll have to do is build their car plants, frankly, and other things in the United States, in which case you have no tariffs," Trump said Monday when asked how the countries could avoid the duties. 

Trump later added that deadly fentanyl continues to flow into the United States from Canada, Mexico and China.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs. Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

"We are ready," Joly said as she entered a Canada-U.S. cabinet committee meeting in Ottawa Monday.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Joly said Canada has responded to the president's concerns about the border. She said she will be meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau when he returns from London, where he met with King Charles.

Canada named a new "fentanyl czar," listed Mexican cartels as terrorist groups and launched a Canada-U.S. joint strike force to combat organized crime, fentanyl and money laundering. More helicopters and drones were launched and additional officers were tasked with guarding the border.

The president's comments came just hours after a key member of his team said no decision had been made and tariff levels could still be lowered.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday morning that Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of fentanyl.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have."

"This is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Republican strategist Doug Heye said that "Trump wants to be able to declare a victory — regardless of what that victory may be — and is using tariff threats to leverage that victory."

"But we know that should (the tariffs) go into effect, they become a de facto tax increase on American families who can ill afford higher costs on anything," Heye added.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to an upcoming mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Trump returned to the White House in January with a growing tariff agenda.

He ordered 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States on March 12. Trump signed an executive order to implement "reciprocal tariffs" by raising U.S. duties to match the tax rates that other countries charge on imports starting April 2.

Trump also floated the idea of imposing tariffs on automobiles and signed executive orders to look into levies on copper and lumber.

On Monday, he added agricultural products to his growing list of tariff targets.

"To the Great Farmers of the United States: Get ready to start making a lot of agricultural product to be sold INSIDE of the United States," Trump posted on social media. "Tariffs will go on external product on April 2nd. Have fun!"

MORE National ARTICLES

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister
Defence Minister Bill Blair is defending Canada's spending promise at the NATO leaders' summit in Washington, D.C., as critics throw cold water on the government's new pledge to meet the two per cent target by 2032. "That number didn’t sort of just come out of the air," Blair said Friday after returning to Toronto. "It came out of a lot of hard work."

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Man dies in Surrey shooting

Man dies in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man has died after a shooting last Friday. R-C-M-P say the man was found suffering from a gunshot wound in a parking lot near Cineplex cinemas' Strawberry Hill location along 122 Street.

Man dies in Surrey shooting

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion
British Columbia Premier David Eby says there's a "zero per cent chance" the province will implement recommendations by the provincial health officer that alternatives to opioids and other street drugs be made available without a prescription. Eby says he has "huge respect" for Dr. Bonnie Henry, who he said saved countless lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, adding that it's OK they occasionally have a difference of opinion. 

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police
Police in Vancouver say a three-year investigation has led to the arrests of six people allegedly connected to a "sophisticated" organized crime group. Police say the probe began in November 2021, focusing on a kilogram-level drug-trafficking operation working both domestically and internationally.

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre
Supervised consumption sites are just "drug dens" that a future Conservative government would not fund and seek to close, Pierre Poilievre said Friday. During a visit to a park near such a site in Montreal, Poilievre said he would shutter all locations near schools, playgrounds and "anywhere else that they endanger the public."

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre