Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Mar, 2025 12:24 PM
  • Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. 

Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

He says B.C. has all the resources the world needs, including clean electricity, critical minerals and agricultural products, and the best way to respond to the threat from the United States is to grow the economy. 

The premier says they'll do everything they can to keep food costs down as the value of the Canadian dollar sinks and they'll ensure that there is food security in the event that U.S. President Trump decides to attack Canada in different ways. 

Eby says this is a moment to take an attack and turn it into a source of strength, and it's amazing to see the sense of pride, courage and solidarity from Canadians.

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said Monday that her budget will help brace the province against four years of "uncertainty and disorder" from the United States. 

Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

The NDP government has already cancelled its election promise of a $1,000 grocery rebate and frozen some public-sector hiring as it prepares for what Eby has called economic warfare by Trump.

The province goes into the trade war carrying a record deficit forecast of $9.4 billion this fiscal year.

Bailey said she isn't ruling out the province's first 11-figure deficit and she says now is not the time for deep cuts, but to plan for times of uncertainty.

The province's ballooning deficit saw S&P Global Ratings drop B.C.'s credit score last April for the third time since 2021.

Another agency, Moody’s, maintained the province's long-standing AAA credit rating but revised its outlook to negative.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert
Police in Prince Rupert say three people have been arrested in a series of searches that turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs in the city. Mounties say police executed multiple search warrants on September 6th on homes on  Second Avenue West and Ninth Avenue East, as well as a vessel tied up at Atlin Terminal.

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge
Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the community is facing an ongoing extortion scam that has triggered five reports to police in three days. Police say scammers are contacting residents with claims of having compromising photos and videos of the victim.

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey
British Columbia's independent police watchdog has been notified after a women was shot and killed by police in Surrey. RCMP say in happened Thursday when police were called to a disturbance at a home at about 4:40 a.m.

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition
R-C-M-P and the Surrey Police Service are set to keep working alongside each other, even after the takeover date by the municipal police force. The S-P-S is slated to take jurisdiction of Surrey on November 29th, but says the R-C-M-P will continue to operate in the area and help with transition support. 

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing
Surrey R-C-M-P say one youth has been charged following a stabbing attack on two men earlier this month. Police say on September 11th, officers responded to calls of a fight on 130-A Street.

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing