Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Two foreign nationals arrested in Surrey, B.C., in extortion shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2026 01:22 PM
  • Two foreign nationals arrested in Surrey, B.C., in extortion shooting

Two foreign nationals have been arrested in connection to extortion violence in Surrey, B.C., where there has been a spike in shootings at homes and businesses this year.

Police say 22-year-old Damanjeet Singh and 30-year-old Pardaman Singh were arrested after officers, including the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and Canada Border Services Agency, served a search warrant on a home in Surrey.

Police say they tracked down the address and made the arrests after investigators identified a suspect vehicle in a shooting that happened on April 22 in the city. 

Shots were fired at the home in the overnight hours, damaging the building's exterior, although no one inside was injured.

Both men arrested in the case were charged with possessing and discharging a firearm, and their next court appearance is set for later this month. 

The latest figures from Surrey police say there have been 98 reported cases of extortion in the city and 16 cases of shots fired, in a city among Canada's hardest hit by such violence that is targeting the South Asian community.

Canada Border Services said Tuesday that it had opened 446 immigration investigations into foreign nations suspected of being involved or linked to extortion across the country as of May 7. 

It said it had issued 118 removal orders and 55 of those had been enforced. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre's communications director Katy Merrifield resigns

Poilievre's communications director Katy Merrifield resigns
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's communications director Katy Merrifield is resigning.

Poilievre's communications director Katy Merrifield resigns

Carney, European leaders welcome reported Iran-U.S. ceasefire in joint statement

Carney, European leaders welcome reported Iran-U.S. ceasefire in joint statement
Prime Minister Mark Carney and nine European leaders issued a joint statement on Wednesday, welcoming the reported two-week ceasefire agreement between the United States and Iran.

Carney, European leaders welcome reported Iran-U.S. ceasefire in joint statement

Museum of Surrey open submissions for Community Treasures exhibitions series

Museum of Surrey open submissions for Community Treasures exhibitions series
Museum of Surrey (MOS) is opening applications for the Community Treasures exhibition series, for 2027. Community Treasures is a gallery space for community members, individuals, and cultural organizations from Surrey to showcase their treasures and share their stories with the public.

Museum of Surrey open submissions for Community Treasures exhibitions series

Canadians encouraged to register as organ donors as Green Shirt Day returns

Canadians encouraged to register as organ donors as Green Shirt Day returns
Green Shirt Day is back, and Canadians are being encouraged once more to register as organ donors.

Canadians encouraged to register as organ donors as Green Shirt Day returns

'War crimes': Iranian Canadians horrified by Trump's latest threat to destroy Iran

'War crimes': Iranian Canadians horrified by Trump's latest threat to destroy Iran
Iranian Canadians whose family members live in Iran say they are horrified by U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest social media post threatening the existence of their homeland. 

'War crimes': Iranian Canadians horrified by Trump's latest threat to destroy Iran

Feds looking at how to 'cushion the blow' as gas prices rise amid Iran war: Carney

Feds looking at how to 'cushion the blow' as gas prices rise amid Iran war: Carney
Prime Minister Mark Carney says the federal government is looking at how to support Canadians as oil prices rise amid the ongoing war in the Middle East.

Feds looking at how to 'cushion the blow' as gas prices rise amid Iran war: Carney