Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Two key fires in Okanagan, B.C., are under control, but winds pose challenge to north

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2023 09:52 AM
  • Two key fires in Okanagan, B.C., are under control, but winds pose challenge to north

Two of the three fires making up a devastating wildfire complex that destroyed almost 200 homes around Lake Okanagan in the B.C. Interior are now under control.

But the BC Wildfire Service says the region's most destructive fire, the McDougall Creek blaze in West Kelowna, continues to defy suppression efforts.

The three fires make up the Grouse fire complex that forced thousands of people to evacuate and has been a key front in B.C.'s worst wildfire season on record since the McDougall Creek fire swept down on West Kelowna on Aug. 17, setting neighbourhoods ablaze.

The Lake Country and Clifton-McKinley fires on the east side of Lake Okanagan then sprang into life, threatening the City of Kelowna and properties to the north.

The Central Okanagan emergency operations centre says although those two fires are now under control, evacuation alerts remain in place, and residents need to be ready to leave at short notice.

Firefighters are meanwhile warning residents in northern B.C. that forecast high winds are likely to feed the growth of wildfires over the next two days.

The wildfire service says it is "anticipating increased fire behaviour" in the Northwest and Prince George fire centres — encompassing the northern half of the province — from Friday into Saturday.

Environment Canada has issued a weather advisory this morning stretching from B.C.'s Peace River region including Fort St. John and Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson and areas further to the northwest such as Cassiar and Watson Lake, Yukon.

The advisory says winds from the west and southwest are likely to reach 40 kilometres an hour over the next two days, and gusts may reach 60 kilometres an hour.

Environment Canada says the high winds will likely "worsen wildfire conditions" as well as contribute to deteriorating air quality as they drive smoke from nearby blazes.

In response, both the Prince George and Northwest fire centres have issued warnings for residents to be vigilant, as areas 40 to 80 kilometres downwind of active wildfires are at risk if flames start moving quickly.

Northern B.C. suffered from high temperatures and dry conditions earlier this week with parts of the region under days-long heat warnings from Environment Canada.

The wildfire service says those conditions are likely to contribute to more fire activity if winds bolster the wildfires in the region.

Further south, wet and cool weather has helped fire crews in the southern Interior of B.C. this week, with rainfall in the Fraser Canyon and Shuswap regions, as well as Central Okanagan, helping firefighters.

Officials say it has helped crews contain several major fires such as Kookipi Creek south of Lytton from further growth.

Provincial Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma on Thursday extended B.C.'s state of emergency until Sept. 14 and said drought conditions may last into next year.

There are currently more than 400 active wildfires burning in British Columbia, with about 188 listed as out-of-control.

About 4,200 people in the province remain on evacuation orders, with another 65,000 on alert to be ready to evacuate on short notice.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmonton police warn of man with knife, one dead

Edmonton police warn of man with knife, one dead
Police say the suspect is in the area and is described as dishevelled. He has curly, black hair and light skin and was wearing a dark hoodie and grey shirt. They say he is considered dangerous and should not be approached.

Edmonton police warn of man with knife, one dead

RCMP take suspect in deadly stabbing into custody

RCMP take suspect in deadly stabbing into custody
A massive four-day manhunt came to an end north of Saskatoon Wednesday as RCMP took into custody Myles Sanderson, a suspect in a deadly mass stabbing rampage. Sanderson was found near the town of Rosthern, Sask., RCMP said, after officers responded to a report of a stolen white Chevrolet Avalanche being driven by a man armed with a knife.

RCMP take suspect in deadly stabbing into custody

Major telecoms agree to outage deal: Minister

Major telecoms agree to outage deal: Minister
The deal comes after a massive Rogers Communications Inc. service disruption on July 8 that affected millions of Canadians. In the days after the outage, Champagne directed the CEOs of Rogers and other telecom companies to develop a backup plan to prevent a similar scenario, giving them 60 days to do so.

Major telecoms agree to outage deal: Minister

B.C. caps rent, boosts family benefits in supports

B.C. caps rent, boosts family benefits in supports
Horgan says inflation is driving up the costs of groceries, gas and other goods and services, and the next support measures will offer families a cushion during challenging times. About 85 per cent of people in B.C. are expected to benefit from the increase in the Climate Action Tax Credit payment, estimated to be worth up to $1,500 a year for a family of four. 

B.C. caps rent, boosts family benefits in supports

Two 18 year old men arrested in Chilliwack stabbings

Two 18 year old men arrested in Chilliwack stabbings
Chilliwack RCMP arrested two 18 year old men in connection to this incident. One man has been released without charge while the other has been released on an undertaking to appear in court on September 27th.

Two 18 year old men arrested in Chilliwack stabbings

Charges laid against DTES man who damaged 26 buses after firing BB rounds

Charges laid against DTES man who damaged 26 buses after firing BB rounds
Though each bus had passengers on board, no victims ever came forward and there were no reported injuries. In most cases the damage wasn’t noticed by the bus drivers until after they had finished their shifts.  

Charges laid against DTES man who damaged 26 buses after firing BB rounds