Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Uber driver assaulted by passenger

Darpan News Desk , 14 Feb, 2022 11:28 AM
  • Uber driver assaulted by passenger

The Burnaby RCMP have arrested a suspect after an assault on an Uber driver that occurred in early January.

On January 9, 2022, just after 6:30 a.m., Burnaby RCMP received a call from an Uber driver reporting that he had been assault by a passenger near Manchester Drive and Government Street in North Burnaby. When police arrived, the suspect was no longer on scene.

However, the assault was captured on video by the driver’s camera system.

“Everyone has the right to do their job without the fear of becoming a victim of crime, especially violent crime,” said Corporal Mike Kalanj with the Burnaby RCMP. “We will do our best to help the victim get past this traumatic incident as there is no place for violence such as this in our city.”

The investigation led to the identification and arrest of a suspect.

A 26-year-old Burnaby man now faces one charge of assault.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Greens to choose interim leader tonight

Greens to choose interim leader tonight
The Greens will tonight choose an interim leader to take the helm of their troubled party, following the resignation of Annamie Paul. Paul Manly, the former MP who lost his British Columbia seat in the election, is the favourite to take on the challenge.    

Greens to choose interim leader tonight

New college to regulate immigration consultants

New college to regulate immigration consultants
The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants officially opened on Nov. 23, and replaces the previous regulator, the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

New college to regulate immigration consultants

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm
Tiffany de Leeuw says her in-laws realized the gravity of the disaster facing their farm on the Sumas Prairie when a field flooded in 30 minutes. She said her father-in-law and brother-in-law quickly set out with cattle trailers on the first day of the flooding to save animals boarding on the property while other relatives worked to build dikes to protect their third-generation farm.

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program
Labour Minister Harry Bains has scheduled a news conference with provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry about a permanent program on sick leave, which has been promised for January.

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program

New hospital moves forward in Surrey

New hospital moves forward in Surrey
People in Surrey are a step closer to a new Surrey hospital and cancer centre with the issuing of the request for qualifications (RFQ). Through the RFQ process, Fraser Health will identify a short list of up to three qualified proponents who will be invited to participate in the next step of the competitive selection process, the request for proposal (RFP) stage.

New hospital moves forward in Surrey

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda
A vote on the throne speech will be the first confidence test for the government, with the Liberals' survival dependent on the support of at least one opposition party.

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda