Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead
B-C's police watchdog confirms that a man who was involved in an incident with police in Langley last month has been found dead. The Independent Investigations Office of B-C says human remains found at the scene of a fire in Langley are those of a man who had barricaded himself inside a building as police were outside on November 10th. 

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars
Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of people buying used vehicles that turned out to be stolen. The integrated auto crime team says they have worked on a number of cases where people have purchased cars either online or at used-car dealerships with fake vehicle identification numbers.  

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver
The skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver are slowing according to the latest report by Rentals-dot-C-A and Urbanation. The report says the area's asking rents in November rose less than 1 per cent from last year, reaching an average rental unit price of three-thousand-171-dollars.

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation
A Coquitlam man is facing is facing a long list of charges, including trafficking and possession after police say they uncovered a large-scale, cross-Canada drug operation. BC's Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says police conducted a yearlong investigation that included police in Manitoba, resulting in three arrests and a large quantity of drugs and weapons seized.  

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside
A 30-year-old Indo-Canadian has been charged in the US state of Florida for driving drunk and crashing his vehicle with his four-month-old daughter inside. Peeyush Gupta, a resident of Ontario province, was taken into custody last week and remains behind bars in Monroe County’s Key West jail facility.  

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll
A new survey suggests one in four Canadians are extremely concerned about having enough income to cover their basic needs, with the highest degree of hardship being felt by single parents. The Salvation Army released the data today as part of their annual report examining Canadians' attitudes and experiences with poverty and related socioeconomic issues.

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll