Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 May, 2025 10:34 AM
  • Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

The union representing about 55,000 Canada Post employees said the latest offers from the postal service "fall short" with hours to go until a looming strike deadline.

Canada Post meanwhile said Thursday it's already seeing mail volumes decline ahead of another possible labour disruption and is pushing for an urgent resolution.

Spokesperson Lisa Liu said Canada Post hasn't yet received a response from the union about its proposals issued a day earlier.

The postal service is ready to resume bargaining "as soon as possible" with a mediator at the table, she said.

"We remain hopeful that negotiations can resume," Liu said. "Further delays or another strike would have a major impact on employees, small businesses and the millions of Canadians who rely on the postal system."

In a bulletin posted late Wednesday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers said it is still reviewing proposals tabled by the Crown corporation earlier in the day.

But it identified a number of areas where the offers disappoint, namely on wages and cost-of-living adjustments.

Canada Post's offers amount to a little more than 13 per cent in wage increases over four years, where the union was looking for closer to 19 per cent to catch up after years of rampant inflation.

The union also raised concerns about Canada Post's pitch to include more part-time staff and introduce "dynamic routing" — a model that could see mail delivery routes change on a daily basis to adjust to varying conditions — without established rules governing the system.

CUPW also argued that the six extra personal days on offer are "window dressing" and already allotted in the Canada Labour Code.

The union also took issue with a pitch to remove workers' "five-minute wash-up time."

Without an agreement in place by the end of Thursday, CUPW members are set to go on strike shortly after midnight.

Canada Post rejected CUPW's call for a two-week "truce" that would have given the union time to review the new offers in detail.

If postal workers do walk off the job, it would be the second time in less than six months.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire trucks stolen in southern Alberta found, man facing charges

Fire trucks stolen in southern Alberta found, man facing charges
One man is facing charges after police say two fire truckswere stolen in southern Alberta.

Fire trucks stolen in southern Alberta found, man facing charges

B.C. invests $11 million on value-added lumber manufacturing amid U.S. uncertainty

B.C. invests $11 million on value-added lumber manufacturing amid U.S. uncertainty
The British Columbia government is investing up to $11million toward four projects in the province aimed at boosting the local mass-timber manufacturing sector.

B.C. invests $11 million on value-added lumber manufacturing amid U.S. uncertainty

Trump floats automobile tariff increase for Canada

Trump floats automobile tariff increase for Canada
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that at some point the automobile tariffs slapped on Canadian imports could increase while also indicating his administration is working on a deal with Canada. 

Trump floats automobile tariff increase for Canada

Conservatives, Liberals called out over lack of 'prudence' in platforms

Conservatives, Liberals called out over lack of 'prudence' in platforms
Pierre Poilievre is defending the Conservative campaign platform's heavy reliance on economic growth in a period ofdeep uncertainty, while the NDP and Liberals spar over cost-cutting.

Conservatives, Liberals called out over lack of 'prudence' in platforms

VPD whistleblower alleges arrest quotas in Downtown Eastside crackdown

VPD whistleblower alleges arrest quotas in Downtown Eastside crackdown
The Vancouver Police Board must look into an officer's allegation that arrest quotas have been issued as part of Mayor Ken Sim's "Task Force Barrage" initiative in the Downtown Eastside, British Columbia's police watchdog says.

VPD whistleblower alleges arrest quotas in Downtown Eastside crackdown

One year after B.C.'s short-term rental crackdown, has it made housing cheaper?

One year after B.C.'s short-term rental crackdown, has it made housing cheaper?
Marv Gandall says living in one of Victoria's largest residential buildings a year ago meant a parade of people with suitcases, stuffed visitors parking and slow elevators. 

One year after B.C.'s short-term rental crackdown, has it made housing cheaper?