Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 May, 2025 10:34 AM
  • Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

The union representing about 55,000 Canada Post employees said the latest offers from the postal service "fall short" with hours to go until a looming strike deadline.

Canada Post meanwhile said Thursday it's already seeing mail volumes decline ahead of another possible labour disruption and is pushing for an urgent resolution.

Spokesperson Lisa Liu said Canada Post hasn't yet received a response from the union about its proposals issued a day earlier.

The postal service is ready to resume bargaining "as soon as possible" with a mediator at the table, she said.

"We remain hopeful that negotiations can resume," Liu said. "Further delays or another strike would have a major impact on employees, small businesses and the millions of Canadians who rely on the postal system."

In a bulletin posted late Wednesday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers said it is still reviewing proposals tabled by the Crown corporation earlier in the day.

But it identified a number of areas where the offers disappoint, namely on wages and cost-of-living adjustments.

Canada Post's offers amount to a little more than 13 per cent in wage increases over four years, where the union was looking for closer to 19 per cent to catch up after years of rampant inflation.

The union also raised concerns about Canada Post's pitch to include more part-time staff and introduce "dynamic routing" — a model that could see mail delivery routes change on a daily basis to adjust to varying conditions — without established rules governing the system.

CUPW also argued that the six extra personal days on offer are "window dressing" and already allotted in the Canada Labour Code.

The union also took issue with a pitch to remove workers' "five-minute wash-up time."

Without an agreement in place by the end of Thursday, CUPW members are set to go on strike shortly after midnight.

Canada Post rejected CUPW's call for a two-week "truce" that would have given the union time to review the new offers in detail.

If postal workers do walk off the job, it would be the second time in less than six months.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Wednesday he'll "set a deadline" to approve all federal permits for mining in northwestern Ontario's Ring of Fire region within six months. Poilievre said that a Conservative government would also commit $1 billion over three years to build a road network to link the mining sites to Ontario's highway network and First Nations communities in the area.

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme
A 24-year-old Vancouver man faces several charges after investigators dismantled what they say was a "sophisticated" gun importation operation. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the charges come after an investigation that began in June 2023 when packages with gun parts were "intercepted at the border." 

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'
The British Columbia government says it is cancelling an incentive program meant to entice more homeowners to build secondary suites, saying the decision is "due to uncertain financial times."  The government says in a statement that the pilot program won't accept applications after March 31. 

B.C. shuts door on secondary-suite incentive program over 'uncertain financial times'

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime
Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese embassy both declined to say how many Canadians were executed or report the names of those killed. Ottawa did confirm they did not include Abbotsford, B.C. native Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, who was sentenced to death for drug smuggling by a Chinese court in 2019.

Ottawa condemns China for executing Canadians as Beijing points to drug crime

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war
The federal government is providing about $20 million in funding to support British Columbia's forestry sector, part of Ottawa's effort to bolster the economy amid the Canada-U. S. trade war. Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says it's more important than ever to support the sector, which is subject to American duties on softwood lumber and now faces the additional threat of steep tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa provides $20M for B.C.'s forest sector amid softwood duties, trade war

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic
British Columbia's Highway Patrol says another commercial truck has hit an overpass in Metro Vancouver, causing no visible damage, but snarling traffic on Wednesday. Police say a load of lumber the tractor trailer was hauling along Highway 99 hit the Blundell Road overpass.

Commercial truck hits B.C. highway overpass, losing lumber load and snarling traffic