Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Aug, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Unionized workers at Canada Post are due to wind up voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract Friday afternoon.

Voting is set to wrap up at 5 p.m., with results expected to be shared shortly after.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has urged the roughly 55,000 postal service workers it represents to reject the proposal. 

If workers reject the offer, the union has said it will immediately contact management and invite them to return to the bargaining table. It warns further strike or lockout actions could risk the government intervening with back-to-work legislation or a binding arbitration order.

The union believes a strong no vote would not only reject the offer but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

"If this vote passes, we give Canada Post the green light to steamroll workers now and in the future," union national president Jan Simpson wrote in a letter to members in mid-July.

Canada Post has said the offer reflects the company's "current realities while protecting items that are important to employees" and accounting for "needed changes to help begin to rebuild the company’s parcel business."

"We know the ongoing labour uncertainty has had a significant impact on our customers and that they’ve had to adapt their business operations. This is not the position we wanted to put them in," the company said in a July statement. 

"Our intent has always been to reach negotiated agreements that will enable us to move forward and better serve Canadians and Canadian businesses."

The Crown corporation has previously said its operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June.

The vote, which opened July 21, is being administered by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, which stepped in after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu intervened in the labour dispute.

Canada Post and the union have been at odds with one another for more than a year and a half.

Last holiday season, postal workers went on strike, leaving mail and parcels undelivered and many post offices closed.

They returned to work the week before Christmas, when the labour minister established a process with the Canada Industrial Relations Board to assess the likelihood of Canada Post and the union reaching an agreement by the end of 2024.

The board, led by Commissioner William Kaplan, eventually found that Canada Post was essentially bankrupt. 

The board's final report tabled in May showed Kaplan recommended an end to daily door-to-door mail delivery and an expansion of community mailboxes, among other measures to keep the postal service in business.

He also endorsed Canada Post's model for adding part-time mail workers — one sticking point in negotiations — and largely blamed the stalled negotiations on CUPW defending "business as usual."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores
Health Canada is warning people in at least three provinces against using unauthorized sexual enhancement products that may pose serious health risks.  The agency says it has seized various products from stores in New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario that have been found to contain "dangerous ingredients."

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion
British Columbia's health minister has announced that the province is changing its safer-supply anti-addiction program to a witnessed model, in which users will be watched as they consume the drugs. Josie Osborne says the "significant" change to end the take-home model will be difficult for some, but is designed to reduce the criminal diversion of prescribed alternatives to illicit street drugs. 

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Ukraine must have a seat at the table in any peace talks, as Washington and Moscow discuss ways to end the war. Trudeau says Canada and most of its allies insist that Ukraine must be part of any discussions on ending Russia's war, which started three years ago.

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise
The federal government has confirmed that small businesses will have to pay tax on their carbon rebate, despite government promises otherwise, because Parliament can't currently pass legislation to make the payment exempt from income taxes. But if legislation passes to do that the government says the businesses can apply for a rebate for the taxes paid on their rebate.

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise

Implementing guaranteed basic income could cut poverty rates up to 40%, PBO says

Implementing guaranteed basic income could cut poverty rates up to 40%, PBO says
The government's fiscal watchdog says a guaranteed basic income program at the federal level could cut poverty rates in Canada by up to 40 per cent. In a new report, the parliamentary budget officer says that a Canadian family in the lowest earning group could expect to receive an average of $6,100 in annual disposable income through such a program.

Implementing guaranteed basic income could cut poverty rates up to 40%, PBO says

Vancouver Police Chief Adam Palmer retiring after a decade at the helm

Vancouver Police Chief Adam Palmer retiring after a decade at the helm
Vancouver Chief Const. Adam Palmer has announced he will retire at the end of April after 37 years with the department, including almost a decade in the top job.  Palmer announced his decision next to Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim at police headquarters, saying the decision and timing were "100 per cent" on his own terms. 

Vancouver Police Chief Adam Palmer retiring after a decade at the helm