Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Aug, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Unionized workers at Canada Post are due to wind up voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract Friday afternoon.

Voting is set to wrap up at 5 p.m., with results expected to be shared shortly after.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has urged the roughly 55,000 postal service workers it represents to reject the proposal. 

If workers reject the offer, the union has said it will immediately contact management and invite them to return to the bargaining table. It warns further strike or lockout actions could risk the government intervening with back-to-work legislation or a binding arbitration order.

The union believes a strong no vote would not only reject the offer but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

"If this vote passes, we give Canada Post the green light to steamroll workers now and in the future," union national president Jan Simpson wrote in a letter to members in mid-July.

Canada Post has said the offer reflects the company's "current realities while protecting items that are important to employees" and accounting for "needed changes to help begin to rebuild the company’s parcel business."

"We know the ongoing labour uncertainty has had a significant impact on our customers and that they’ve had to adapt their business operations. This is not the position we wanted to put them in," the company said in a July statement. 

"Our intent has always been to reach negotiated agreements that will enable us to move forward and better serve Canadians and Canadian businesses."

The Crown corporation has previously said its operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June.

The vote, which opened July 21, is being administered by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, which stepped in after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu intervened in the labour dispute.

Canada Post and the union have been at odds with one another for more than a year and a half.

Last holiday season, postal workers went on strike, leaving mail and parcels undelivered and many post offices closed.

They returned to work the week before Christmas, when the labour minister established a process with the Canada Industrial Relations Board to assess the likelihood of Canada Post and the union reaching an agreement by the end of 2024.

The board, led by Commissioner William Kaplan, eventually found that Canada Post was essentially bankrupt. 

The board's final report tabled in May showed Kaplan recommended an end to daily door-to-door mail delivery and an expansion of community mailboxes, among other measures to keep the postal service in business.

He also endorsed Canada Post's model for adding part-time mail workers — one sticking point in negotiations — and largely blamed the stalled negotiations on CUPW defending "business as usual."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Community groups say Canadians are scared as Trudeau warns hate crimes are rising

Community groups say Canadians are scared as Trudeau warns hate crimes are rising
As Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other leaders warn of a rising tide of hate around the world, community groups in Canada say they're getting more and more calls from frightened people. At a media availability with Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk in Warsaw last month, Trudeau said antisemitism is on the rise globally, and especially since Hamas' terrorist attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. Trudeau was in Poland to mark the 80th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Community groups say Canadians are scared as Trudeau warns hate crimes are rising

Liberal race sucked into Trump's 'gravitational field,' strategists say

Liberal race sucked into Trump's 'gravitational field,' strategists say
Liberal leadership hopefuls are pivoting and responding to the attention-consuming existential threats to Canadian trade posed by U.S. President Donald Trump — a preview of what the next federal election is going to look like, according to Liberal strategists.

Liberal race sucked into Trump's 'gravitational field,' strategists say

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report
British Columbia's children's representative says child welfare social workers in the province are "in a state of crisis" and it will likely take a decade to fix things, even with committed efforts. But an online news conference with Jennifer Charlesworth after the report was released was interrupted when a participant shouted racial slurs and then began showing a pornographic video.

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists
Much of British Columbia is thawing to seasonal temperatures, although arctic outflow warnings remain in place for some parts of the province. Environment Canada says an arctic air mass is bringing strong winds through the Whistler Valley and wind-chill values near -20 C while snow remains in Metro Vancouver, where temperatures are still below freezing.

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children
Police say an East Abbotsford daycare owner has been charged with allegedly assaulting children in her care. Abbotsford Police say officers launched an investigation into reports that the 60-year-old had assaulted children in October.

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites
A Vancouver Island doctor involved in setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites has resigned from her positions with Island Health, claiming she was placed on leave as punishment for her public advocacy work. Dr. Jess Wilder, a co-founder of the group Doctors for Safer Drug Policy, says in a resignation letter dated Feb. 5 that she's leaving her positions with Island Health "immediately." 

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites