Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Aug, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Unionized workers at Canada Post are due to wind up voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract Friday afternoon.

Voting is set to wrap up at 5 p.m., with results expected to be shared shortly after.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has urged the roughly 55,000 postal service workers it represents to reject the proposal. 

If workers reject the offer, the union has said it will immediately contact management and invite them to return to the bargaining table. It warns further strike or lockout actions could risk the government intervening with back-to-work legislation or a binding arbitration order.

The union believes a strong no vote would not only reject the offer but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

"If this vote passes, we give Canada Post the green light to steamroll workers now and in the future," union national president Jan Simpson wrote in a letter to members in mid-July.

Canada Post has said the offer reflects the company's "current realities while protecting items that are important to employees" and accounting for "needed changes to help begin to rebuild the company’s parcel business."

"We know the ongoing labour uncertainty has had a significant impact on our customers and that they’ve had to adapt their business operations. This is not the position we wanted to put them in," the company said in a July statement. 

"Our intent has always been to reach negotiated agreements that will enable us to move forward and better serve Canadians and Canadian businesses."

The Crown corporation has previously said its operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June.

The vote, which opened July 21, is being administered by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, which stepped in after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu intervened in the labour dispute.

Canada Post and the union have been at odds with one another for more than a year and a half.

Last holiday season, postal workers went on strike, leaving mail and parcels undelivered and many post offices closed.

They returned to work the week before Christmas, when the labour minister established a process with the Canada Industrial Relations Board to assess the likelihood of Canada Post and the union reaching an agreement by the end of 2024.

The board, led by Commissioner William Kaplan, eventually found that Canada Post was essentially bankrupt. 

The board's final report tabled in May showed Kaplan recommended an end to daily door-to-door mail delivery and an expansion of community mailboxes, among other measures to keep the postal service in business.

He also endorsed Canada Post's model for adding part-time mail workers — one sticking point in negotiations — and largely blamed the stalled negotiations on CUPW defending "business as usual."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores
City council has passed a bylaw that restricts the sale of knives in Edmonton convenience stores. Mayor Amarjeet Sohi says convenient and quick access to knives makes the community less safe.

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

4 found dead on a First Nation home

4 found dead on a First Nation home
Police say four people have been found dead in a home on the Carry the Kettle Nakoda Nation in southern Saskatchewan. RCMP say officers with the File Hills Police Service were called to the home, where they found the bodies.

4 found dead on a First Nation home

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Uptick in Vancouver home sales
Greater Vancouver home sales went up again last month, but the region’s real estate board says more people were trying to sell than buy. Andrew Lis with Greater Vancouver Realtors says momentum is starting to shift from buyer demand to sellers, helping to keep the market balanced and limit price fluctuations.

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Body found in Prince George

Body found in Prince George
Police in Prince George say a body has been found near the intersection of highways 97 and 16, southwest of the downtown. R-C-M-P say officers responded to the call shortly before 9 this morning.

Body found in Prince George

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil
Finance worker Michael Atkinson is a fan of electric cars, but lately he found himself embarrassed to drive his Tesla Model 3 around Vancouver. Dismayed by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and his association with U.S. President Donald Trump, Atkinson now drives an electric Volkswagen ID.4 after returning his Tesla to the dealership with two months left on the lease.

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada
To justify his executive order imposing stiff tariffs on goods from Canada, Mexico and China, U.S. President Donald Trump cited an "extraordinary threat posed by illegal aliens and drugs, including deadly fentanyl." Trump agreed Monday to pause the planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico for 30 days in response to both countries promising to bolster border security.

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada