Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Aug, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Unionized workers at Canada Post are due to wind up voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract Friday afternoon.

Voting is set to wrap up at 5 p.m., with results expected to be shared shortly after.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has urged the roughly 55,000 postal service workers it represents to reject the proposal. 

If workers reject the offer, the union has said it will immediately contact management and invite them to return to the bargaining table. It warns further strike or lockout actions could risk the government intervening with back-to-work legislation or a binding arbitration order.

The union believes a strong no vote would not only reject the offer but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

"If this vote passes, we give Canada Post the green light to steamroll workers now and in the future," union national president Jan Simpson wrote in a letter to members in mid-July.

Canada Post has said the offer reflects the company's "current realities while protecting items that are important to employees" and accounting for "needed changes to help begin to rebuild the company’s parcel business."

"We know the ongoing labour uncertainty has had a significant impact on our customers and that they’ve had to adapt their business operations. This is not the position we wanted to put them in," the company said in a July statement. 

"Our intent has always been to reach negotiated agreements that will enable us to move forward and better serve Canadians and Canadian businesses."

The Crown corporation has previously said its operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June.

The vote, which opened July 21, is being administered by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, which stepped in after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu intervened in the labour dispute.

Canada Post and the union have been at odds with one another for more than a year and a half.

Last holiday season, postal workers went on strike, leaving mail and parcels undelivered and many post offices closed.

They returned to work the week before Christmas, when the labour minister established a process with the Canada Industrial Relations Board to assess the likelihood of Canada Post and the union reaching an agreement by the end of 2024.

The board, led by Commissioner William Kaplan, eventually found that Canada Post was essentially bankrupt. 

The board's final report tabled in May showed Kaplan recommended an end to daily door-to-door mail delivery and an expansion of community mailboxes, among other measures to keep the postal service in business.

He also endorsed Canada Post's model for adding part-time mail workers — one sticking point in negotiations — and largely blamed the stalled negotiations on CUPW defending "business as usual."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign
The Fraser Health authority is stepping up its vaccine campaign for the human papillomavirus, now offering it to all eligible students from Grade 6 through 12. The vaccine provides protection against the virus that is a common infection linked to several different types of cancer. 

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down
B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says she is stepping down. Furstenau says she never aspired to be an elected official but is leaving her role as leader of the province's third party feeling a great sense of accomplishment 

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence
The Dutch Supreme Court has rejected online extortionist Aydin Coban's bid to scrap his Canadian sentence for tormenting B.C. teenager Amada Todd.  Coban is a Dutch national who was extradited, tried and given a 13-year sentence in B.C., before being sent back to the Netherlands where he was already serving time for separate offences.

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast
A winter storm warning remains in effect for part of B-C's North Coast. The bulletin from Environment Canada spans the Stewart area, north of Prince Rupert, and says heavy snow is expected through Wednesday morning.

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say
For more than a decade, Wisconsin native Douglas Cowgill has helped Americans in Canada navigate the complex task of renouncing their U.S. citizenship, cutting themselves loose from that nation's Internal Revenue Service in the process. But it was only in 2023 that Cowgill — a dual citizen at the time with a Canadian wife and family — took the plunge himself.

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings
The proposed $32.5-billion settlement between the companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — and their creditors received unanimous support from those creditors in a vote last month and must now obtain the court’s approval.

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings