Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Jul, 2025 10:31 AM
  • Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Unionized workers at Canada Post begin voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract offer on Monday.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is urging they reject the proposal.

Canada Post is at an impasse with the union representing roughly 55,000 postal service workers after more than a year and a half of talks.

The vote comes after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to step in and put the Crown corporation's latest offer to a vote.

Voting will be open until Aug. 1.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Crown corporation's operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June, said Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton.

"We hope our employees see these offers provide certainty for the road ahead and vote yes to make them their new collective agreements," he said in a statement.

"If the vote is positive, the offers become new collective agreements effective until Jan. 31, 2028. If not, Canada Post won’t speculate other than to say the uncertainty will continue."

Union national president Jan Simpson has said a strong no vote would not only reject the offer, but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

A postal strike could push 63 per cent of businesses to walk away from Canada Post permanently, according to a survey released Monday by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

It said around 13 per cent of small firms already stopped using Canada Post after the 2024 strike.

CFIB estimates that work stoppage cost small businesses between $75 million to $100 million each day. 

It says more than 70 per cent of businesses responded to the disruptions by encouraging customers to use digital options, 45 per cent turned to private couriers, while 27 per cent delayed mail.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle
The vehicle was later relocated abandoned in Richmond, and the driver was arrested nearby with the assistance of Richmond RCMP Gang Enforcement Team (RGET) and Vancouver Police Department Gang Crime Unit (GCU). The driver was identified as 20-year-old Gurjot Singh Bhatti.

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

More housing to come near transit hubs

More housing to come near transit hubs
Premier David Eby and Transport Minister Rob Fleming are expected to make an announcement about more homes being built near transit today. There’s no word yet on what exactly the announcement is.

More housing to come near transit hubs

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall
A new health centre dedicated to serving British Columbia's French-language speakers will open its doors this fall in Vancouver.  A statement from B.C.’s Ministry of Health says the current Vancouver Urban Health Centre cannot accommodate the needs of the Lower Mainland’s growing French-speaking community even though it offers primary care in both French and English. 

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main
Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men
Mounties in Richmond are looking for witnesses to an alleged robbery in which the victim reported being attacked and robbed by as many as eight masked people. Police say the man was leaving a plaza in the area of Number 3 Road and Williams Road, where he says he was hit in the head with a weapon and his backpack was stolen.

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou
A major provincial park expansion will create a protection zone of almost 2,000 square kilometres for caribou and other species in northeastern British Columbia. The Ministry of Environment says in a statement that the addition to the Klinse-za Park will make it the largest provincial park established in the province in a decade.

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou