Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Jul, 2025 10:31 AM
  • Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Unionized workers at Canada Post begin voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract offer on Monday.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is urging they reject the proposal.

Canada Post is at an impasse with the union representing roughly 55,000 postal service workers after more than a year and a half of talks.

The vote comes after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to step in and put the Crown corporation's latest offer to a vote.

Voting will be open until Aug. 1.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Crown corporation's operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June, said Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton.

"We hope our employees see these offers provide certainty for the road ahead and vote yes to make them their new collective agreements," he said in a statement.

"If the vote is positive, the offers become new collective agreements effective until Jan. 31, 2028. If not, Canada Post won’t speculate other than to say the uncertainty will continue."

Union national president Jan Simpson has said a strong no vote would not only reject the offer, but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

A postal strike could push 63 per cent of businesses to walk away from Canada Post permanently, according to a survey released Monday by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

It said around 13 per cent of small firms already stopped using Canada Post after the 2024 strike.

CFIB estimates that work stoppage cost small businesses between $75 million to $100 million each day. 

It says more than 70 per cent of businesses responded to the disruptions by encouraging customers to use digital options, 45 per cent turned to private couriers, while 27 per cent delayed mail.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park
The crash that killed the adult bear, nicknamed Nakoda, happened on Thursday about 12 hours after the two cubs were struck and killed on the highway in southeast B.C. that morning. The agency says wildlife management staff had been repairing fencing along the road when the adult bear was startled by a train and ran in front of two vehicles. 

Rare white grizzly bear Nakoda and her cubs die in separate crashes in B.C. park

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal
According to IHIT, 28-year-old Yuvraj Goyal, who was shot to death in South Surrey on Friday, had no history of police contact.  He was employed at car dealership in Surrey.  Goyal came to Canada nearly 6 years ago as an International student. 

28 year old shot in South Surrey identified as Yuvraj Goyal

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight
The union representing more than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency employees says workers are set to strike on Friday if a deal is not reached with the federal government by then.  The Public Service Alliance of Canada says it has moved its strike deadline to Friday at 12:01 a.m. after extending negotiations with the Treasury Board last week. 

Union representing Canadian border agents moves strike deadline to Friday at midnight

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna
RCMP in Kelowna are investigating after a woman accused a man of trying to sexually assault her as she was walking along a trail in Mission Creek Regional Park. The woman told officers that the man grabbed her last night and tried to assault her, but she was able to run away and call police.

Alleged sexual assault in Kelowna

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus
Mounties in Penticton are looking for witnesses after they say a 93-year-old woman was pushed in front of a moving city bus. Police received a report around 11 a.m. on Wednesday that a woman pushing a cart full of belongings "forcefully pushed" the elderly woman into the path of the bus as it left a stop near Calgary Avenue and Main Street.

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control
The wildfire that forced 4,700 people to leave their homes in Fort Nelson, B.C., is now listed as under control. The BC Wildfire Service says in a social media statement that the 123-square-kilometre fire in northeastern B.C. is not expected to grow beyond its current boundary. 

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control